Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlights stuck on Bright

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights stuck on Bright

How do you change out the dimmer switch on a 1991 Pontiac Firebird? The Headlights are stuck on Bright. I thought it was the multi-functional swith but, that is the level. I know the dimmer should be on the steering colum but, how do I get to it to change it? My book does not show me.

Help

Ed
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4, B&M shifter & shift kit inst
Axle/Gears: 3:23....10 bolt
Re: Headlights stuck on Bright

Originally Posted by edyer1
How do you change out the dimmer switch on a 1991 Pontiac Firebird? The Headlights are stuck on Bright. I thought it was the multi-functional swith but, that is the level. I know the dimmer should be on the steering colum but, how do I get to it to change it? My book does not show me.

Help

Ed
Bump because I have this problem and I need help to fix it!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

The switch is easy to change. It's down the steering column under the kick panel. Just pull on the hi beam lever while your head is under there and you see the rod acuating it.

The switch might not even be bad, it may simply need an adjustment. The switch is slotted.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by eseibel67
The switch is easy to change. It's down the steering column under the kick panel. Just pull on the hi beam lever while your head is under there and you see the rod acuating it.

The switch might not even be bad, it may simply need an adjustment. The switch is slotted.
how do i even find it?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

It's easier to see if you remove the panels under the steering wheel. The rod runs right up against the column at about 10 o'clock. Pull the lever and you will see the rod move. Follow it down to the switch. You can push in on the switch to change back to low beams until you adjust it. Sometimes tilting the wheel up or down will also make it work temporarily. Two 5/16? or 7mm? bolts need to be loosened just enough to allow you to take up the slack enough to make it work right. Make sure the wheel is tilted to where you normally drive before tightening the bolts back up
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by henryd3
It's easier to see if you remove the panels under the steering wheel. The rod runs right up against the column at about 10 o'clock. Pull the lever and you will see the rod move. Follow it down to the switch. You can push in on the switch to change back to low beams until you adjust it. Sometimes tilting the wheel up or down will also make it work temporarily. Two 5/16? or 7mm? bolts need to be loosened just enough to allow you to take up the slack enough to make it work right. Make sure the wheel is tilted to where you normally drive before tightening the bolts back up
found the lever and flippedd it back to low beam...it works thanks