Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

electrical shortage total electrical failures

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: stock axle with 4.11's
electrical shortage total electrical failures

ok bare with me this may take awhile to tell but i need info and advice

ok so sence ive got the car ive replaced the alternator and the battery they are both new...

i went to drive to town the other day about 8 miles...by time i got to town battery was dead...had it load tested its fine...i got a jumpstart and started driving home with friend behind me...lights went out wipers went out defogger and car started miss firing due to not enough power...so i parked it in garage and started stripping it down looking for a shorted wire...i unplugged the positive feed on the battery and would unplug one thing and see if it was still arcing when i held the battery cable to the postive termenal and it would...started pulling fuses and found one that when pulled out it started arcing...was the ctsy and according to manuel thats the door locks..i dont have stock power door locks i do have a viper alarm system so i unpluged that and unpluged the aftermarket selenoids inteh door...still arced...so i left fuse out and started car to see if it was still draining battery...
oh forgot one bit of info...when car has been running for several min its over loading the alternator and heating it up so its so hot to the touch it burns...i just got the alternator from napa a week ago...im going to have it tested tomarrow...the battery cables are fine by the way...all the wiring on the car is pactically new..everything on the car is practically new...it has a 350 crate motor and 5speed trans both have less then 10k miles on them...this is a 84 z28...i checked all the tail lights and headlights...they were good...i unplugged every electrical connection i could see in engine bay they were all good...i unplugged the stero system..it was good...i pulled down the fuse planel and was able to see theres a orange wire going into where that fuse goes..and it looks like it goes towards the ecu...i check ecu it all looks fine all connections looked fine...is there any connections under the car??? where else can i look any ideas on how to isolate the problem and fix it...
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL AND ACCEPT THANKS
Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 PM

The best way to find a bat drain is to disconnect the positive terminal and hook up a test light between the cable and the positive post on the bat. The light sould be dim if you have FI but not bright. Start pulling fuses untill the light goes out or very dim and you have found the problem child. From what you have said i would guess that its the voltage regulator in the alt (its turning on the alt when the car is off). Thus draining the batt.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 PM

Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: stock axle with 4.11's
yeah i did something similar didnt have light so just took postive and touched terminal until it started arcing so bad...and it was the fuse for the interior lights...but i got new alternator and its gettin hot also...and i left fuse out for lights...checked all others and rest are fine...cables are good...its a brand new battery its really got me stumped i give up and im taking car to a professional automotive electrician to trace down the problem...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt
With the interior light fuse out, how does the car drive?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: built 700r4
well the ctsy fuse powers so many things you realy need to take you time and test them all. when i had to deal with it i lookedd at the wireing diagam and it shows it only going to the door locks but in reality it works just about every item in the interior. check to see if anything has fallen into your cig lighter a coin stuck in there will draw power, check the raido, the locks, the dome light, and you have to test that stuff with the doors closed. if the door is open it will draw current for the interior lights and such. there should be power to the ctsy fuse at all times for the stereo and the lights and such so dont get upset if you cant figure out why its still drawing current.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
If everything was working fine until you installed the new alternator...start there. It's electronics...it could pass today and catastrophically fail tomorrow. /shrug That's just how they are. If the Alt is good...then you definitely have a problem and I'd start doing exactly what Brad RS said to do.