Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Possible Touchscreen 1.5 din option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 15th Anv. T/A
Engine: HO 5.0
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure yet!
Possible Touchscreen 1.5 din option?

Hey All,

So I have been doing a lot of research on what I plan to do for the radio setup in my 84. I see that there are a lot of options out there, but it mostly comes down to modifying the trim piece or not, the trim piece is obviously set up for a 1.5 din unit (which there isn't very much aftermarket sources for this), so you either need a 1 or 1.5 din unit or modify the trim piece to fit a double din unit.

my plan was to modify my bezel and do a double din unit, my thought was to find a reasonably cheap android powered double din unit to install in my dash, but while digging around on the internet I started finding there was a lot of resources for these android units, custom fit to specific car applications and what not. obviously the thirdgen fbodys where not in that list.. but other vehicles that use a 1.5 din unit where.. which peaked my interest.

so it looks like there are a couple pretty common newer vehicles out there that still come with 1.5 din stereos stock (jeeps/rams/chrysler 300's/etc). so I cam across a unit on amazon that looks promising for a decent price. its made by a company called pumpkin, which seems to just be a company that takes these chinese android radios and slaps their label on it, I have seen the same radio listed on ebay with a different name too. from the research I have done and videos I have watched, for the most part.. these are pretty solid units for the price.

now I don't know for sure if this will fit 100% or not without pulling the trigger and buying one (which I was planning on doing at some point), but I am pretty positive it would be a close fit with minimal work involved. now if you look at the pics it shows "measurements" of the unit, but I wouldn't take them too serious, this says double din, but doesn't appear to actually be that, and the measurements are obviously wrong, because in the pic it shows the total height as 96mm, but then flips around to the back and shows the smaller part as 100mm (100mm is height of double din), from looking around, people who have bought these and similar units (rebranded) have said they are a direct fit.

So here is what I found:

Pumpkin CS-W1702B 6.2" Unit for a Jeep Wrangler Pumpkin CS-W1702B 6.2" Unit for a Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Possible Touchscreen 1.5 din option?

I would be interested to see how it works out. I really don't want to have to modify my original bezel if I don't have to.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

That's a lot of cheese to spend on something they can't even measure properly........
Old 10-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
I would be interested to see how it works out. I really don't want to have to modify my original bezel if I don't have to.
That's exactly what I was thinking, if I can get ahold of an aftermarket unit that will work without modifying (too much) that would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Wife'sCar
That's a lot of cheese to spend on something they can't even measure properly........
yea, these Chinese companies don't care a ton about the small details and mostly are just trying to sell as much as they can with as little effort as possible, I think what I am going to do is try and see if I can get ahold of a wrangler head unit and compare the size of it first, I should be able to get a better idea of the size that way. I'll keep this post informed on my findings.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM

a little more research confirms that they are a direct fit into the JK series of jeeps, and from what I have been reading is that those jeeps are in fact a 1.5 din unit, but I still want to get actual measurements to know for sure before ordering.

on a side note, there is a jeep company called "Insane Jeep Audio" that rebrands these things and sells them as a direct replacement to the JK series of jeeps, they sell through third party dealers, the model number through them is called the JK1001, and they have a price tag of $1100+ haha! wow, what a markup from the pumpkin version (without a bunch of hacks to the android operating system)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-...pn=I%2FEJK1001

here is a video of someone actually using one in their jeep.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

I've also been checking out the few supposed 1.5 DIN radios still in use today, all of which do seem to be for Jeep. And the pic you posted in your first post appears to show the unit in its actual size(on my computer screen), or at least, proportionately accurate. So I held a 3rdgen GM radio that I have in my cupboard up to your pic on my computer screen, face-to-face, and the height and width matched almost perfectly. And it's obvious that the proportions in the pic are true to the radio because the ***** are perfect circles, not elongated as if the pic was stretched in either direction.

Just be sure the one you get has face lettering that is illuminated in red, or is at least is changeable, because a lot of the Jeep units I've seen only have green illumination.

I installed a double din DVD/CD/Bluetooth/streaming radio into my 06 truck a couple of years ago, and it was very nice, especially when I drove from CA to FL last spring. Watching movies while I drove was a nice change from only having music. And because the movie seemed to be over almost as soon as it began, 2 hours seemed to pass by quickly. Just be sure to directly ground the wire that's supposed to tap into the parking brake, rather than actually tapping it into the parking brake(that's the safety feature to prevent people from watching movies while they drive; it's just a ground wire). I put a switch between the unit and the grounding location, so when I wanted to watch a movie, I'd just flip the switch, the unit was grounded, and it was show time.

It was because of this install that I began searching for something similar for my Formula, but like you, something that fit "correctly" and looked appropriate, daytime and nighttime. And the Jeep units appear to fit the bill, if they have variable illumination, and some do.

What the heck, it's only cheese, right? And a similarly featured double din Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine requires just as much, if not more, cheese to acquire than these Jeep units.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
I've also been checking out the few supposed 1.5 DIN radios still in use today, all of which do seem to be for Jeep. And the pic you posted in your first post appears to show the unit in its actual size(on my computer screen), or at least, proportionately accurate. So I held a 3rdgen GM radio that I have in my cupboard up to your pic on my computer screen, face-to-face, and the height and width matched almost perfectly. And it's obvious that the proportions in the pic are true to the radio because the ***** are perfect circles, not elongated as if the pic was stretched in either direction.

Just be sure the one you get has face lettering that is illuminated in red, or is at least is changeable, because a lot of the Jeep units I've seen only have green illumination.

I installed a double din DVD/CD/Bluetooth/streaming radio into my 06 truck a couple of years ago, and it was very nice, especially when I drove from CA to FL last spring. Watching movies while I drove was a nice change from only having music. And because the movie seemed to be over almost as soon as it began, 2 hours seemed to pass by quickly. Just be sure to directly ground the wire that's supposed to tap into the parking brake, rather than actually tapping it into the parking brake(that's the safety feature to prevent people from watching movies while they drive; it's just a ground wire). I put a switch between the unit and the grounding location, so when I wanted to watch a movie, I'd just flip the switch, the unit was grounded, and it was show time.

It was because of this install that I began searching for something similar for my Formula, but like you, something that fit "correctly" and looked appropriate, daytime and nighttime. And the Jeep units appear to fit the bill, if they have variable illumination, and some do.

What the heck, it's only cheese, right? And a similarly featured double din Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine requires just as much, if not more, cheese to acquire than these Jeep units.
I do believe that the colors are adjustable, so shouldn't be any worries there. I have someone who has a jeep that I am going to measure their unit to verify, hopefully I can get some input on this tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 14 Charger RT rwd dd
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Transmission: auto

any updates?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in this...
Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Car: 1988 IROC
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

I'd be the buzz killer here.. Some Chrysler /Jeep products did come with a double din radio and had a corresponding Radio bezel that had a 2 din opening. a common solution to jeeps, etc. without the 2 din is to buy the dash bezel from dodge, etc. and replace it with the 2din bezel, allowing a double din to fit. As far as I can tell, this looks to me like a double din unit designed to replace the factory 2 din unit.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Hey All, sorry for the late response.. I still haven't had a chance to get any measurements or consistent info on anything.

It IS true the some Chrysler / Jeep units came with a double din radio, but this unit from pictures and videos doesn't look as tall as a double din unit, it seems to be closer to a 1.5 din unit, which is what caught my attention.. I originally got started looking for stuff because people who own chrysler 300's were trying to find a replacement unit for their 1.5 head units and after digging and digging I came across this one, which appears to be what I was looking for, but I can't 100% confirm..

here are examples of 2 units sold by the same company.. the one above.. and their double din unit.. and you tell me what you think.

Double Din

Jeep Unit

The double din photo looks a little taller than the jeep unit, but I could be wrong and the photos could be off.. but the jeep unit in all photos and pics look shorter than the other double dins.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Hectre - have you tried asking the guy who did the YouTube review to measure the face of it? I only ask because I wouldn't want to bug him about it if you already did. I would think face place measurements would put this to rest rather quickly.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Hectre - have you tried asking the guy who did the YouTube review to measure the face of it? I only ask because I wouldn't want to bug him about it if you already did. I would think face place measurements would put this to rest rather quickly.
I have not.. didn't even think about that. I'll send him a message and see what he says, thanks!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:59 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UH4GZQM..._TkaswbTPP8J9Y

Possible solution? Fits in single din, but has a larger faceplate.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Any progress with this? Also does anyone know if they would work with steering wheel controls?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-5

Originally Posted by alex722607
Any progress with this? Also does anyone know if they would work with steering wheel controls?
It appears this thread has become dormant
Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd

Just a little extra info here. the switch that needs to tap into your parking brake (from my understanding) can not be constantly grounded. I guess the aftermarket folks caught on that people were just grounding these wires, so my understanding is that once the unit is turned on it needs have no signal and then a grounding signal. I never hooked this up in mine but I read it multiple places. If I remember correctly there was someone who would sell something that once it got power (turned the car on) it would break the ground signal and then ground it again so it would all work automatically. However many people just install a switch just like you did.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 5737cc

Chrysler 300M has a stock 1.5 din navigation/radio unit.I had to buy a Chrysler to discover that.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:21 PM

Yes it will fit look on amazon 2008 jeep wrangler direct fit radios found pic of one with mounting holes on the sides and showed three holes for screws one din placement and half way up another hole for screw bam 1.5 din .Those factory holes are set up for din size no matter where in the world it's made
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 PM

And showed information for Chrysler car also which supports my opinion it is 1.5 din
Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM

Also look at first pic in post look at mounting holes
Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM

They sell aftermarket bezels to fit a double din.have done a few if that is an option for you.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Let's breath some new life into this thread.

Not only Jeep radios, but also Toyota radios have wider-than-Double-DIN faces, doubling our candidates for modern, aftermarket replacements. They're even wider than the face of our 1.5 DIN radios, while having "bodies" of Double DIN radios(though some have the bodies of Single DIN). All of that is good. So rather than requiring a Double DIN faceplate to be manufactured(which, unfortunately, won't match the finish of a Firebird's factory faceplate), or "patching" the gaps in a factory faceplate for use with a Double DIN radio, the opening of the factory faceplate can simply be enlarged for a "custom-fit" with an aftermarket radio made for Jeep or Toyota.

More specifically, the faces of aftermarket radios for Jeep(as posted above by the OP) and Toyota are approximately 8" wide. The opening in our factory faceplate is approximately 7.5" wide(the face of a Double DIN radio is only 7" wide). So cut-and-widen the opening of the factory faceplate for use with Jeep or Toyota radios.

Also, the face of those radios is approximately 4" tall, which is true Double DIN, whereas, our 1.5 DIN radio face is approximately 3-3/8" tall. So here, too, cut the opening of the factory faceplate to match the taller height of the new radio, just as you would have to do anyway for a Double DIN installation.

Next, use plastic polish on the factory faceplate's freshly-cut edges(and face), and you'll have a newly-refreshed factory faceplate that fits the new aftermarket radio perfectly, making for a "factory-like" installation of a modern radio.

Now the issue becomes depth: making the new radio, itself, "fit" into the car. The aftermarket radios are slightly deeper than our factory radios. But you would have this issue with a Double DIN installation anyway.

Originally Posted by hardon85
Just a little extra info here. the switch that needs to tap into your parking brake (from my understanding) can not be constantly grounded. I guess the aftermarket folks caught on that people were just grounding these wires, so my understanding is that once the unit is turned on it needs have no signal and then a grounding signal. I never hooked this up in mine but I read it multiple places. If I remember correctly there was someone who would sell something that once it got power (turned the car on) it would break the ground signal and then ground it again so it would all work automatically. However many people just install a switch just like you did.
The wire that's supposed to get tapped into the parking brake is simply a ground wire, so it can be grounded anywhere. I had installed a switch for grounding and interruption, located between the unit and the grounding point(not the brake). Switch on, the unit is grounded, and videos play while driving/anytime; switch off, the unit is not grounded, and videos won't play at all. I did test it without a switch, grounded 100% of the time, and it worked fine too. But I had previously "heard" the same info that you stated above, and that's why I installed the switch, just in case...
Old 02-28-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 87 Formula 350,11.65@122
Engine: 383,AFR Comp 195,XFI280,SRam/Mram
Transmission: T-56 Magnum-F
Axle/Gears: DANA 44 with 3.92

Ceramic coating makes a huge difference in the heat the headers produce. My first set of SS headers were SLP 4 into 1 shorty's uncoated. The heat they produced was ridiculous. I had them Jet Hot coated and under hood temperature dropped dramatically. They were so hot before coating the heat melted my steering shaft universal boot. IMO with the tight clearances headers create keeping the heat down as much as possible is huge.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:16 PM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Ive been looking into the "reverse" double din plates people have been 3D printing and selling on eBay. I am also looking for an adroid compatible radio that will fit into that space, but I am neurotic about fit. It would have to look factory. Has anyone made any progress on this?
Old 03-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28, 1991 Z28 & 1985 TA

Originally Posted by Ponch85rs
Ive been looking into the "reverse" double din plates people have been 3D printing and selling on eBay. I am also looking for an adroid compatible radio that will fit into that space, but I am neurotic about fit. It would have to look factory. Has anyone made any progress on this?
For a reverse double din bezel, these are the best fitting of the brands I tested.
82-92 Camaro Reverse Double Din Radio Bezel|Unleaded Designs (unleaded-designs.com)

We currently don't have a "reverse" set up but the link below has mounting brackets and a standard double din bezel. Also info on what you need to look for in a radio to help it fit.
1982-92 Camaro Double DIN Install Kit (Bezel & Brackets) (screamingchicken.com)
The following users liked this post:
7thdarkangel (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Missing
Transmission: Missing
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford

Originally Posted by Ponch85rs
Here a few up pics of the reverse plate. These are molded not 3d printed.im in CT as well if you want to see one in person.

The following users liked this post:
oneowner73 (03-27-2022)