Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Guages Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guages Fuse Keeps Blowing

I have a 91 RS and last week my guages all died. I found a 10 amp fuse in the block and replaced it and it lasted 3 days. then blew again. Now the fuse blows within seconds of starting the car. I have checked everywhere for loose or frayed wire, but everything looks OK. I am at a loss?!?!
Any advice?
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Guages Fuse Keeps Blowing

I would get a fuse with a little bit bigger amperage.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56

I would highly advise against that. 10amps is already way too high. Let me understand this correctly, your gauges stop functioning all together? Or the lights? The lights dont need many amps, they usually use 3-5A fuses. I beleive the cluster is a little higher. You shouldnt need more than 10 though. Ive burned my hands pretty badly with a 20A fuse. Its the obvious "fix" but its not a solution.

Heres a question, do they go out if you dont start the car, but have it on? Ie: either in accessories or RUN, but the car itself is not running, just the electrical.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM

The guages (not lights) blow the fuse the second the ignition is turned on wether the engine is started or not. At first it started intermittently and I replaced the fuse with the 10 amp that was in there, but now the second the key is turned it blows the fuse. I am at a loss.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56

You need a test light. I doubt youve completely investigated the issue, given all the wires are way up in there under the dash. I would save that spot for last. In the mean time, i would check areas close to heat, and moving parts.

Pull off the fuse block (dont need to disconnect the wires) just unbolt, and let it hang. I bet the issue is close to the fuse block. First check heading towards the battery, cuz its easier. then the other way.

Basically, something is pulling more current than it supposed to, and is blowing your fuse. You dont want to go higher on the fuse, because if it draws too much, it might burn a wire.

However, if you want to try bigger fuses, to try and get to the problem easier, i would advise putting a fusible link into the fuse block wire. SO if there is a short, it'll blow the link, before it blows the rest of your fuses.

However, use what you know, for example, the power is being drawn from something that uses the ign key to get power. Even better, you know which fuse is blowing. that greatly narrows down the wires you have to trace. If you wanna go up with fuse, try a 15A, but i would not suggest 20 or higher. Keep your hand on the key, and turn it on and OFF RIGHT AWAY. If it blows the 15A, chances are good you have a short. If it doesnt, you may just have some malfunctioning equipment.

SOrry thats the best i can come up with right now, ill do some research, see if i can come up with some tips and tricks for you.

By the way, when the gauges WERE working, were they all working? or were there some dead ones?

Last edited by online170; 06-06-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

any updates ? My gauges all died except the speedo and the gauges still light up. the speedo is run by a mechanical cable. I found a 10 amp fuse in the block and replaced it and it lasted 20 minutes later. then blew again in 10-20 minutes.

Last edited by KITT1983; 03-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.