Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Crazy volt meter redings, dimming headlights. need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy volt meter redings, dimming headlights. need help!!

Hey guys my car is doing some funky stuff, driving down the road in the day my volt meter is pretty normal. But when driving at night w/ the lights on it's way in the red! Also my headlights and interior lights fade in and out some. I put on a new + wire. Cleaned the ground and re-connected it. I had my alternator checked and it checked good. Any idea's?

Oh btw: 84 camaro z-28.

Did they come stock w/ power windows?

Last edited by darklord0424; 07-02-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
Re: Crazy volt meter redings, dimming headlights. need help!!

hi welcome to TGO

well it sounds like its just not putting out the voltage it shoud be

lights dimming is the big clue

it really can only be the alternator or a bad ocnnection somewhere in the wiring or at the battery

have you confirmed the charging system is doing fine by taking the car by the battery shop real quick
most shops will check the system with a handheld charging system "scanner" for free

i run tons of vehicles by the shop here all the time

its free

make sure you have ground from engine block to firewall too

if in doubt then ground some more

try adding another ground cable or strap from the engine to the frame rail or from the battery to the body somewhere, firewall, rad support, make sure its bare and not paint, and clean and dry, no grease or dirt or rust at all, any of those will mean bad connection

how old is the battery ?

there should still be a little round sticker somewhre on the battery it will have a letter and a little dash and a number

the number is the last number of the year of the battery, if it is 4 years old or older then i would positively make sure it is still good

i normally junk any battery that is over 4 years old, unless it is just for a spare to test starters and stuff on the bench

it has to be something causing this and i dont think it is anything much more than the alt or a bad connection

did this happen out of the blue or after any recent work on the car, or ?

the voltage dropping with lights on is a definite symptom of one or the other causing it

or battery dying

you need to check more than just the ground cable that you checked

yes power windows was factory

power windows was always a factory option on F bodies since the first ones

very common, my 82 trans am has factory power doors

billions of them do

other than a/c and power steering, power doors are as common as flies on crap

i had an 84 Z-28 it was L69 HO 305 and 700r4 and 3.73 open with aluminum drums and t tops and a/c and so on

also had an 83 Z-28, it also was L69 HO 305 and 700r4 but it had the factory fiberglass Z-28 hood

heres an 82 Z-28 i just had not too long ago

it was LG4 305 and 4 speed manual originall,y but swapped to an old 1979 chevy 350 and old th350 trans

good luck

Last edited by Randy82WS7; 07-02-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Re: Crazy volt meter redings, dimming headlights. need help!!

Wow, thanks for all your help! The battery tested fine. Another guy had the same problem I did and it was his alternator even though it tested good at auto zone. Yeah I recently cleaned the grounds. I havn't had this car that long but thus far it's been nothing but problems. I'll try more grounds and if still continues and new alternator.