Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

HID/H4 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Divorce stole it
Engine: Divorce stole it
Transmission: Divorce stole it
Axle/Gears: Divorce stole it
HID/H4 ??????

What is HID and H4. I've done some reading on how to clean up the outside appearance but I dont really know what all that means. I haven't worked on a camaro for awhile due to selling my Z28 and military duties so its been about three yrs since my wife's camaro engine blew and I removed it. So my knowledge on basically anything automotive is Im currently dumb. So if anyone can explain the what those are, besides them dealing with headlights(cause here in Wisconsin, we need the light, @#$% deer). Thanks.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Tru-Track posi/Moser axles/4.10
Re: HID/H4 ??????

This is a conversion that I didn not too long ago but its not really a cheap mod.

HIDs: HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', because of the xenon gas used in the lamps. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate amounts of light immediately upon startup and speed the warmup time. HID headlamp bulbs produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the Xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.

H4: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp
It is just a bulb conversion from the stock H6545 sealed beam headlights to lamps that allow you to just replace the bulb.

You can pick up the actual HIDs at a place like this:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflashplus
I got mine there and they work very well.

You would have to decide what color temperature you were going to get though. Your options would be 4300K, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K, 12000K. The lower the color temperature the whiter the light and the higher light output. The higher the color temperature the more blue/purple the light gets and the lower light output. If you want to see the best you should go with 4300K (this is also what generally comes stock on vehicles equipped with HIDs). I bough 6000K lamps because I still wanted to see well but also have a bit more blue in the beam.

Here are some pics of my install:

Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

The Lamp that you posted a link to is plastic or glass?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 700R4

AHHH!!!! This is awesome! I've been looking for an H4 conversion for my Camaro for months!!! I did the H4 upgrade on my Jeep, and it's amazing how much better the light output is! Thanks for the link, dude

I don't know that I could justify the expense of retrofitting HIDs into my 3rd Gen Camaro, but the H4 upgrade is well within reach. HIDs are definitely nice, and once you've ridden in a car that has them you will definitely see the difference, but that's a huge chunk of change.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:18 AM

they are glass. i would reccommend these to anybody that can afford them. i will never own another car without HIDs
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM

WHOA!! WHOOOAAAA!!!!!!

I didn't even bother to check the ebay link before, since every HID setup I've ever seen has been close to a grand . . . $146 for HIDs? Is that the brand that you have on your car? Are they true HID? Did they come with everything? How long have you had them?

That seems WAAAAAY too cheap to be real!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LG4 305ci 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt open diff.

does anyone know if the H4-bixenon bulbs fit a firebird? it says there's a solenoid on the back of the bulb that tilts it to give you a high beam and i was wondering if it would fit or not b/c of the flip up lights. any ideas?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by punkdude908
does anyone know if the H4-bixenon bulbs fit a firebird? it says there's a solenoid on the back of the bulb that tilts it to give you a high beam and i was wondering if it would fit or not b/c of the flip up lights. any ideas?
Apparently only for the 4th gens....
----------------------------------------------------------
PONTIAC 1998-2002 Firebird/Trans Am
PONTIAC 1989-1994 Sunbird with Sealed Beam
PONTIAC 1986 Sunbird GT
PONTIAC 1987-1988 Sunbird SE
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-15-2007, 03:41 PM

So what is the better light setup to go with, cause where I live we have alot of deer, I mean alot so the better and farther I can see the better not to smash the front end. And are there any good places to go or reputable dealers to go through. Thanks for the info. Is there a way for when I turn my brights on that all for lights come on instead of just the inners.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:33 PM

i have had these for a few months. they work very well. i ordered their higher end kit (real hella ballasts). i would reccommend this company. very good to deal with.

and of course they are real HIDs. Why wouldnt they be?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Kubus
just wanted to say nice ride. and thanks for the info.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 2k3 Cadillac CTS
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3:43

HID's are awesome and really increase light output during night driving, but without retrofitting a projector you may run into some legal problems. The main problem with running HID's in a headlight designed to run halogen bulbs is that they blind other drivers on the road. Projectors typically have a cutoff, and without it the beam of HID's can be scattered. There is a clear diference when someone converted their headlights to HID as opposed to retrofitting HID's into a projector. Most of the aftermarket thirdgen headlamps are designed for halogen bulbs; therefore there will not be a projector. Check out this video on Youtube about it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
BTW, I really like the 6000k light, especially how Kubus' looks
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by spr250
Kubus
just wanted to say nice ride. and thanks for the info.
thanks a lot

Originally Posted by z28onTweenkies
HID's are awesome and really increase light output during night driving, but without retrofitting a projector you may run into some legal problems. The main problem with running HID's in a headlight designed to run halogen bulbs is that they blind other drivers on the road. Projectors typically have a cutoff, and without it the beam of HID's can be scattered. There is a clear diference when someone converted their headlights to HID as opposed to retrofitting HID's into a projector. Most of the aftermarket thirdgen headlamps are designed for halogen bulbs; therefore there will not be a projector. Check out this video on Youtube about it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
BTW, I really like the 6000k light, especially how Kubus' looks
i have them aimed quite a bit down. i havent had any trouble driving with them and no one has flashed me with their high beams etc. they still light up a lot of the road but dont bother anyone
Old 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kubus_stroinski

and of course they are real HIDs. Why wouldnt they be?
I'm just saying that the price is amazingly cheap for HIDs. I don't recall ever seeing HIDs for less than $1000, usually more. So, the $146 advertised on Ebay is SUPER cheap . . . just wanted to make sure.

Tweenkies brings up a good point, however.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM

So you got yours off the ebay site for $146, so what kit do you get, I have no idea looking at the names. Also, I take it they are for the lows, but how do you upgrade the highbeams, or is that also taken care by the HIDs?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM

the ones i bought are the H4 hi/low bulbs.

they are HID for my low beams and when I turn on high beams it switches to the halogen filament and my other high beam lamp turns on. mind you i dont use high beams anymore