Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electrical Bugs. no power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 T/A 47,XXX
Engine: 305 until the ZZ4 355.
Transmission: turbo200
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Electrical Bugs. no power.

Ok so my other thread just wasnt working, I fixed my charging issue so theres a big one done!

Heres my last issue. Im STILL not getting any power at the fuse box to my TAILLIGHTS and COURTESY fuses. Now off the starter solenoid all the wires are getting power besides the one circled!, could that be my problem? Im not sure what this wire is for anyways.

Any other possibles? everything else in the fuse box is getting power, but NOTHING electrical works besides my power seats and windows.

I need help ASAP, I know someone has the answer!
thanks
- -Josh

Name:  problem.png
Views: 47
Size:  2.45 MB
Old 08-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Car: 88 Firebird - SOLD!
Engine: 2.8L
Re: Electrical Bugs. no power.

The wire circled is from your ign sw (thru neutral safety or clutch sw) to activate the solenoid during cranking - no power on that until key is in the start position. I haven't seen the other thread, so this might be redundant.

You are saying the Stop/Haz & Courtesy fuses are both OK and there is no power on either side of both fuses. You used a test light attached to a good ground & touched both sides of the fuse & got nothing - did you test the test light with a good circuit first? Do you have a wiring diagram? - a must have for tracking down elec probs.

I just want to verify what's been tested before I talk about using a fused jumper to test circuits.
Corky
Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM

Both fuses are OK, and there is no power on either side of the fuses. I used a test light attached to a good ground (and tested it on a good circuit before hand).

I have a haynes 82-92, But it is not much help. Im no electrician by any means. I know its a stupid problem I just cant solve.

Any more info you can give me I would appreciate.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM

OK, thanks for the info. A couple of things I would do if this was my car. First, I would unbolt the fuse block and check behind it to make sure there are no wire problems & check the wiring for power behind the fuse block.

Next I would fabricate a fused jumper wire (picture attached using circuit breaker) and feed 12v into one side of the fuse (with fuse still in place) and see if everything works OK. Before I get everyone telling me that my jumper wire is a short circuit waiting to happen, I removed the rubber covering on the circuit breaker for demo purposes only. If all works by feeding 12v into fuse, then start tracing the supply wire to fuse block back using a wiring diagram. Wiring diagrams can be found at Auto Zones site. If you need help reading the diagram, just let me know.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801eef19.jsp

Good Luck,
Corky
Attached Thumbnails Electrical Bugs. no power.-0002.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 AM

I took out the fuse block today actually and checked out the wires, they are intact, I did find 2 plugs both unpluged under there, one has a purple and yellow wire to a black plug, the other is a orange wire with a clear plug, not sure what they go to though? any ideas on that.

theres 3-4 plugs unplugged under the hood, probably emissions BS. but no worrys.

The jumper wire idea is a bit confusing. I dont get the concept, or how to use it.

But thats not that important, worse comes to worse it goes to an electrician.

Is it possible something shorted out? I dont really see that happening.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:47 AM

I am not familiar with the color wires you mentioned.

I realized I buzzed thru the jumper process. I'll try to do this better. On the front of the fuse block there should be a an open plug-in labeled "BAT", this should have battery voltage on it at all times. You would plug in 1 end of your fused jumper there & plug the other end of the jumper into one side of the courtesy fuse. So, what you are doing is supplying 12v to that circuit thru the jumper wire (backfeeding the circuit). If there are no shorts in the circuit, everything on that circuit should work. If something is not right in the circuit, your fused jumper will blow.

From what you are describing, it sounds like one of the feeds to your fuse box is dead. This can be caused by a bad fusible link, blown fuse or a disconnected/broken wire. Think back to when this problem started - was something done to the car? This isn't a very difficult problem, I think you will be able to figure it out rather than take it somewhere. Wiring diagram below might help a little.
Corky
</IMG>

Copyright © 2002 Delmar, All Rights Reserved.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 PM

I understand now thank you!, i just built mine according to yours its a 12v circuit breaker 30amps...now should I cover it up at all!? so it doesnt short out anything... Does it need to be grounded?

Your saying if I do this right everything should power on? if it blows it means I have a dead fusible link or disconnected wire?

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM

I cover up the whole breaker (Wrap in electrical tape) - I would like to see you use a 15amp breaker rather than a 30amp. You can fry a few things with 30amps. There is no need to ground the jumper. The jumper just becomes a 12v power source.

If the breaker trips, then you have a dead short somewhere in the circuit - we'll cross that bridge if we need to. Once you hook up the jumper & BTW hook the end of jumper to the fuse in the fuse block first, then the other end to the "BAT" terminal. When you hook this up right, that circuit will be live and devices on that circuit should work.
Test it out & let me know
Corky
Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 AM

Well I covered it all in electrical tape, I used the 30AMP, I seem to have a few issues. First off with the car in the on position, neither BAT teminals get power!? (Does the car have to be running?) but the little RADIO one did so this is what I did. Hooked the BAT clamp to the RADIO (The breaker had a BAT that was copper and the other was ACC), then the other one to my COURTESY. I couldnt fit the clips in the box ;So I took a broken fuse and seperated the 2 long metal tabs and used each and pushed one into the radio the other to courtesy so I had something to grab on, Because I really didnt know any other way. I then put the car in the ON position and my inside buzzer kicked on with the door open, my lights opened up!!!, But the battery shortly died within about 20 seconds it was already not turning over due to a drain from playing my radio...So I didnt have time to check my blinkers and interior lights but my power mirrors and locks didnt work...maybe due to a dead batt? (there run of COURTESY right?)

I still have to check the taillights fuse but im sure it will work. (what runs of the Taillight fuse?)

Thats really were I got too, I know I might be doing a few things wrong here so feel free to explain it the correct way. Im very excited to have gotten this far I appreciate the help! Just now its down to tracking where its not getting power. So its a broken fusible link maybe? or maybe one of these disconnected wires>?

My question also is, can I leave the fuses plugged in and but the clamp on them? thats how you make it sound, but it doesnt make sense for it to be on plastic. Should I switch to a 15 AMP just to be safe? nothing fried at least not that I know of. I know thats alot or rambling I did but I feel like im close to fixing it, thanks for the help man.

Thanks

-Josh

Last edited by New3ra; 08-12-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 AM

You did a great job. You substituted another power source (BAT terminal dead) - your thinking like a pro here. I didn't explain every detail, but you figured out how to get the jumper ends in between the fuses - good job. The result kind of proves my theory that you have source voltage problems getting to the fuse box. Does the Haynes manual have a good wiring diagram, or is about the same as what I posted?

The BAT terminal should be hot ALL the time - so the fuse block is not getting power from one or more feeds. It's hard to tell where the power comes from in the drawing above, so you are going to have to do some detective work. You have to verify you have power on both sides of every fusible link (indicates the fusible link is good). Check wires under hood coming into firewall on side of fuse block. I can't remember if you checked the fusible links at the 2 wires coming off the starter solenoid - Start there.
I am leaving town for a few days - I'll check back on Thurs.
Good Luck,
Corky
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Well im glad I did something right! haha. I beileve the fusible links are good, Il have to go back and check today though; if it isnt one of them what else could it be? one of these disconnected wires? hopefully nothing major.

Il check the fusible links and get back by today, in the mean time if anyone wants to jump in go for it.

=Josh