Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help on headlight conversion from sealed beam to bulb???

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Souped up Firebird, 89 KITT
Engine: 305
Help on headlight conversion from sealed beam to bulb???

Hey there.
I just picked up the AUTOPAL headlight conversion kits for my 1989 pontiac firebird (KITT, Knight Rider) as well as my 1996 Pontiac Firebird. the conversion of course is having the sealed beam housing but instead of changing the whole thing, all I need to do is change the bulb which is an h4 bulb. Anyway, on the 1996, on the original beam 2 of the prongs (right and bottom/middle) are in correct position but the 'left side' prong is turned downward about 1/4 inch or so. my harness has that plug. Is there a wire harness available that I can get so one side is like the 96 and the other side will match up with the h4 bulb??
i can take pix if needed.
(yeah I know its not exactly 4th gen, but I hope I don't have the same problem with the 3rd gen!!!)
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Help on headlight conversion from sealed beam to bulb???

Well there are different connectors and stuff im not familiar with the 4th gens but even if it did fit chances are the wireing needs to be changed around because the connections are different. Now again im not sure on the 4th gen but on the third gen the pin out for the sealed beam headlighs are differnt than the H4. Meaning for example the pin on your connector that corresponds to the low beam will not actualy be plugged into the low beam connection on the H4. Is there a harness available? Im sure there probably is but i dont know where although i do know the correct connectors can be bought even from places like summit raceing for like $3. It would need to be spliced in but thats a different story.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 TA
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: 4L60
Re: Help on headlight conversion from sealed beam to bulb???

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
Now again im not sure on the 4th gen but on the third gen the pin out for the sealed beam headlighs are differnt than the H4. Meaning for example the pin on your connector that corresponds to the low beam will not actualy be plugged into the low beam connection on the H4.
On my '90 TA I converted to E-Code capsules with H4 bulbs. No such problem here, plug and play.

Is there a harness available?
However, H4 draws more current IIRC than the stock sealed beams, and it was suggested to use relays to supplement the new bulbs. Painless Wiring sells a harness with the appropriate relays and fuse in place, again, pretty much plug and play. The only issue I had is that turning on the fog lamps would also turn on the high beams. I contacted Painless on the issue, they told me some splicing was needed (which I naturally never got around to). If I can locate that email, I'll supply the necessary information, it wasn't complicated.