Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

pop up headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1
pop up headlight problem

ok so before i say whats wrong i have tried searching and havnt found anything that can really help me.
well my passenger side pop up headlight will not flip up so i ordered the kit from TDS and it came in the mail today and i was going to install it and it says i need to pop up my headlight manually. so i turn the motor counter clockwise like it says but nothing happens. so i tried to force it up while turning it and nothing happened, but i heard a crack and it looks like i broke part of the housing and i still cant get the stupid headlight up.
does anybody know of a way of fixing this or do i just need to take the whole headlight and motor out together, and if so then how do i do that.
thank you.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A & 88 GTA
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI & 350 LO5 TPI
Transmission: Jasper 4L60 x2
Axle/Gears: 2.77/posi LSD & 2.73/posi LSD
Re: pop up headlight problem

did you try lifting the light as you were cranking just in case it was stuck? if you take the the whole light out which you may have to do anyway to rebuild it then there are four bolts that hold the assembly in place. 2 on the top side and 2 underneath. if you cant get the light up you may have to get the bottom 2 from under the car never had to do that so couldnt tell you the pain it is. but if you can get the light up you can squeeze you hand in for the bottom 2 and go from there.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Try turning the **** the other way. Maybe you were just turning it in the wrong direction?

And it takes several turns before it even starts to move, then the headlight lifts SLOWLY. Not nearly as fast as you'd expect.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM

the headlight will not go up either way i turn it and i was turning it for about 5 min each way. one think i did notice though was that on the working headlight there is a thin black gear that in between the motor and the headlight that i can see, but on the other headlight i cannot see this. it looks like im going to have to try and take the entire headlight assembly.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM

I just finished put both entire assemblies in my 90 bird yesterday.
Best if you have a 3/8 ratchet and a long...12" extension, to try to get those 2 lower bolts out at the bottome of the assembly. You're looking for the 2 bolts on the vertical side of the long L bracket at this point. Also, you'll need a 10 mm wiggle socket to get on them from the front. This is assuming you have the little bit of clearence you'll need to snake the extension under the front of the light. If this doesn't work, you'll have to hit it from underneath. You'll have to contend with the splash pan and wrestle your way above it to catch the two bolts that hold the long L shapped bracket on the bottom side. Bit of a pain, but it can be done. Be sure you have 10mm socket and 10 mm open/box end wrench. The 2 top bolts are no problem. One on the left side top and one holding an L shapped bracket on the right hand side.
And yes, if the hand adjustment works, it is a slow go to raise and lower the lights. I had to use hand pressure on mine to make the stupid things move, but eventually they did.
Now I'm in the process of wiring in a relay sicuit to control raising and lowering because the idiot I got the car from clipped off the control harness. Duh....
Good luck
Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

They won't come up until you install the bushings that should have come with the kit. When i did mine i ended up taking the whole headlight assembly out on each side.

Total PITA but its worth it. Just time consuming.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:15 PM

i ran into a bit of a problem when i was taking it out. in the beginning i was trying to force the headlight up, and i heard crack and felt something give. so then i went and took it off of the body and then disassembled the headlight fixed it all and when i was trying to put the motor back on the headlight housing it was taking alot of force to keep the headlight straight. and then i realized that one of the hinges that hold the top part of the housing to the bottom part had compleatly cracked off and would not let the headlight come up and down at the same time.
sorry for the long explanation but i figured i should tell the whole story. did i totally screw it up and now gotta find one in a junk yard or can i still save it? i can get pictures of it if that would be helpful.
thank you guys so far for the help