Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Speedometer not working

I have a 91 Pontiac firebird. Originally this car was a 5.0 TBI. It is now a 5.7 TPI car. I bought the car that way. However, the speedometer on this car never worked since i bought it. The odometer works just fine though. I looked behind my speedometer and i found no cable. I am assuming it must be electronic then. However, on the transmission itself , there appears to be a cable. There are two cables connected to this transmission. The other cable i am assuming is the kickdown cable. I am aware that these cars use a vss system. My question is this: How can i test to see which components are bad? Is it my vss unit that is bad? If it were vss then my odometer would not work either ,right? Any input would be a great help!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Roch-4bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Normal
Re: Speedometer not working

Dude, Ur in luck.
I just went through the mothjer of all troubleshooting the Fr33kin Speedometer.
All I know is that the transmission sends data to the 4 out Buffer (yellow) box. The yellow box takes the signal from the trannys VSS in the DRVR side tail of tranny(Plug) and turns data to signal which is used for speedo, cruise control and ECM.

That Sounds Easy right?
Well in case you check all electronics in car and replace or just verify that they are 90%.
You may need to jack-up rear of car and pull out the VSS sending unit. Only 10 mm bolt and lots of tranny fluid, after the drain look at VSS unit and check gear, its plastic it wears out over time. if it a little worn replace it, go here(http://www.redrider.us/Speedometer_Gears.htm), count the teeth and order same color, no one else carries it any more, AMACO $2000, diy $11 plus shipping for a 2 once plastic wheel. HA! I had an expert at a auto parts store that sweared that I had a speedo cable, cause he had 3 of these cars and he knows about transmission. Ha! Even when I tried to return the cable, he insisted that I'm (lectric speedo on 86 TA) wrong. well I just kept on diggin aroud, got the service manual for the 1986 thirgen(get the book, it's like the car bible. Amen) checked the speedo electric schematic, and there is is. VSS on tranny to VSS buffer box to speedometer. pulled out the VSS and whala, very worn driven gear (red 37 teeth) Dam!!! I feel like I just hit a bases loaded home run. I won't fix anyones car, I only fix my cars, 86 TA, 00 Expedition. after paying $600 for a tuneup, I vowed not to get suckered again. Thanks to service manuals and the internet. I keep all my money and learn a couple of knew things and sometimes, not to do that again
Attached Thumbnails Speedometer not working-vss-tranny.jpg   Speedometer not working-img_0467.jpg  

Last edited by juansupreme; 10-19-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-19-2019, 12:08 PM

@ninetyone,
Did you end up fixing this issue?
Old 05-31-2023, 10:59 PM

Car: 83 Pontiac firebird transam
Engine: 305 cross fire
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by AtlantaTA
@ninetyone,
Did you end up fixing this issue?
Originally Posted by ninetyone
I have a 91 Pontiac firebird. Originally this car was a 5.0 TBI. It is now a 5.7 TPI car. I bought the car that way. However, the speedometer on this car never worked since i bought it. The odometer works just fine though. I looked behind my speedometer and i found no cable. I am assuming it must be electronic then. However, on the transmission itself , there appears to be a cable. There are two cables connected to this transmission. The other cable i am assuming is the kickdown cable. I am aware that these cars use a vss system. My question is this: How can i test to see which components are bad? Is it my vss unit that is bad? If it were vss then my odometer would not work either ,right? Any input would be a great help!
Hey guys just wondering if anyone got the issue resolved I just recently got a 83 firebird trans am with the 305 cross fire with the 700r4 my Speedo and odometer aren’t working read the thread and saw that the vehicle speed sensor could be a culprit. With that has anyone tried the summit racing one?
Old 06-01-2023, 03:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: '86MCSS
Engine: 396 .030"
Transmission: M20

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread you should be piggy backing on as later years are setup different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm purdy sure '83 would have a drive/driven gear setup that spins a cable that goes to the back of the speedometer. On the back of the speedometer, you would find a 2k ppm sensor that goes to a buffer that talks to the ecm. I would get under the car and double check. Chances are the teeth on one of the gears have sheared off.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

Yes my 83 Camaro is cable driven speedo