Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Windshied Wipers Stuck on Window Edge and Now Broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird Formula **MODIFIED**
Engine: 330 HP Crate 350
Transmission: 700R4 with Shift Kit
Windshied Wipers Stuck on Window Edge and Now Broke

89 Firebird formula decided to break the wipers. I flipped the turn switch and the driver side wiper lifted, the passenger side did not. I checked out what happened and it seems the passenger side wiper arm got cought on the bottom edge of the Glass, IE the bolts got loose on the Wiper assembly and it allowed the wipers to drop below the glass line.

I pulled the wiper free and attempted to turn the wipers on, nothing happened, I tried all speeds, nothing. Naturally I check the power with a volt meter. I pulled the 3 wire plug that attached directly to the motor and tested the voltage and current, but was it seemed low, like 2 volts with .02 Amps. I rotated the switch and the volts dropped to 0.5 and current to lower then .02 amps. (Ok... so the switch works?)

My question is... is it normal to only get 2 volts at the direct motor connection? I know it seems that I might have fried the motor on the wipers but is there some fail safe against that, or could I have fried the wiper sensor cap? If you know. Please help as these electrical questions are easier to handle with experience.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Car: 86 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 liter V6
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2:73
Re: Windshied Wipers Stuck on Window Edge and Now Broke

um, had problems w my wipers too on my 86 firebird and wen i was attending tech school i had a teacher help look at em. but im pretty sure u shld be getin way more than 2 volts at the motor connection. i think if i remember correctly you shld be gettin close to 12 volts. but you may hav not fried your motor. my teach told me that theyre was a possibility that i fried something on the circuit board in the board and said that i can tak it apart and pull the circuit board and the piece that is bad u can actually pull off and replace. but 4 my occasion it turned out my wiper switch was bad.
idk if that helps but its something to look into tho.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Car: 89 Firebird Formula **MODIFIED**
Engine: 330 HP Crate 350
Transmission: 700R4 with Shift Kit

Thanks, I didn't realize the cap on the wiper assembly was a big series of circuit boards. I'm about to start taking things apart so... If I see anything unusual I'll post.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Car: 86 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 liter V6
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2:73

did u find out nething more useful wen you took it apart??