Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

starter wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock
starter wiring question

alright I had a fire with my wiring and I got everything fixed up wired the starter back up, turned the key and nothing happens.

I ran all the wires just as they were before, positive battery and three other wires to the lower terminal and one wire to the upper terminal. One of the wires on the lower terminal goes to the alternator, one goes inside the car, and one goes to somewhere up by the radiator...no clue what that does. The wire on the smaller terminal goes inside the car.

When I hooked the battery up the dome light came on and the headlights work. However when I turn the ignition to "ON" nothing that runs off the fuseblock gets energized such as my radio. Whats worse is that when I turn it to "START" nothing happens at all, no clicking, buzzing, or other indication of any power to the starter.

Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Re: starter wiring question

im also relatiely certain that it has nothing to do with grounds, i've already checked and retightened them all
Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio

Originally Posted by joepackersrock
alright I had a fire with my wiring and I got everything fixed up wired the starter back up, turned the key and nothing happens.

I ran all the wires just as they were before, positive battery and three other wires to the lower terminal and one wire to the upper terminal. One of the wires on the lower terminal goes to the alternator, one goes inside the car, and one goes to somewhere up by the radiator...no clue what that does. The wire on the smaller terminal goes inside the car.

When I hooked the battery up the dome light came on and the headlights work. However when I turn the ignition to "ON" nothing that runs off the fuseblock gets energized such as my radio. Whats worse is that when I turn it to "START" nothing happens at all, no clicking, buzzing, or other indication of any power to the starter.

Any ideas?
Hello joepackersrock!!

Have you checked out the VATS system???

Your "little fire" might have "cooked" something related to the VATS????

Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: TOO MANY
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TBI/6.0L VORTEC
Transmission: T5/AUTO/AUTO

Originally Posted by 87IROC-DAN61
Hello joepackersrock!!

could be the starter relay which works with the vats system... have you test the starter itself? do the engine light came on?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 87IROC-DAN61
Hello joepackersrock!!

Is not the vats system, my car had an engine swap from a v6 to v8 and all the related electronics went with the v6 so there is no vats system to contend with
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by juanillox8
could be the starter relay which works with the vats system... have you test the starter itself? do the engine light came on?
the starter is good, the vats is gone, and im not sure what exactly you mean by engine light but none of the circuits in the car that are supposed to be energized when the ignition is on work.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

what engine is in it? carb? it sounds like it may be the ignition itself or wires goin to it or fuses
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by aremy10
what engine is in it? carb? it sounds like it may be the ignition itself or wires goin to it or fuses
its a 400ci small block chevy with an edelbrock 4 barrel so yep its a carb, the thing thats got me is that none of the ignition circuits are getting power period, and all of the fuses in the fuse block are good none of them were fryed, anybody know how the power gets to the fuseblock in the first place? does it go through the starter somehow?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 739 Likes on 565 Posts
Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

Originally Posted by joepackersrock
its a 400ci small block chevy with an edelbrock 4 barrel so yep its a carb, the thing thats got me is that none of the ignition circuits are getting power period, and all of the fuses in the fuse block are good none of them were fryed, anybody know how the power gets to the fuseblock in the first place? does it go through the starter somehow?
Yes, The positive battery cable goes from the battery to the starter solenoid. Also on the starter solenoid are fusible links. One of the fusible links powers the fuse block... If the fusible link has melted internally, then there will be no 12 volts from the battery to the fuse block.

Inspect the fusible links carefully... the insulation over the fusible link may still be intact. You will need a test light and check for voltage on the red wires that are connected to the fusible links.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM

thanks for all the help guys, me and my cousin hunted it down, combination loose washer, loose connection, broken wire. took the voltage all the way down to that 1v...

so shes fixed