Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Just another ebay HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Just another ebay HID conversion

So i just recieved my ebay HID conversion kit for my 87 bird. Im going to install it and let everyone see what the kit includes and how it turns out.

heres some background on whats already been upgraded on the car.
H4 conversion from sealed beams allowes me to run H4 bulbs. the bulbs are 100/90w hyper whites matrix's. ive also replaced the stock H4 wiring plug on the back of the bulbs bc i melted one of them pretty bad lol. the car also has H3 55w pilot fog lights that i inserted inside the front bumper plastic inserts for alittle cleaner look and so i dnt have to run around in the rain or dusk with my headlights up (i hate how the birds look with the lights up, so now i just turn the fog lights on )

I went with a ebay kit bc its cheap and im sick of replacing H4 bulbs every couple of months bc they burn out or blow up. ive gone through 8packs of 2 bulbs within 2 yrs or so... that equates out to like 25$ each... so like 200$ min not to mention the time and annoyance it takes to replace a bulb in a firebird.

The upgrade HID conversion is a real HID upgrade, 35w 8000K bulbs High/low, comes with ballasts and all wiring. The kit also comes with black fake projector headlamps, with glass lenses and blue daytime running lights. i will not be using the blue running lights since the headlights will be down anyway and its tacky.

Im going to post pics of before shots of the headlights on the car how and the beam pattern and then post pics of the HID setup.

cost of the HID kit with lenses was 69.99$ and i paid 20$ to ship it so it totalled 89.99$. the kits looks great! and it looks like all i have to do is plug the harness into the stock headlight sockets and mount the ballasts and im good!
Attached Thumbnails Just another ebay HID conversion-0526101830.jpg   Just another ebay HID conversion-0526101830a.jpg   Just another ebay HID conversion-0527100008.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Just another ebay HID conversion

Im going to burst your bubble now before you even unpack that stuff and say this.Return those headlight buckets and keep the hid kit.

I did everything you mentioned and for the sake of being cheap ..I ran to ebay to get those fake projector housings and they were worse than the original sealed beam bulbs that came on the car.The reason is..for one..those things arent rated for hids ..secondly..the fake projector looking part in the middle created such a nasty very centered focal point and had **** poor light pattern.It shined everywhere but on the road where I need to see.Third complaint was that they fog up..and take in water easily when you wash the car and the headlights are down..blows the hid bulb instantly.

go to summits website and order the proper legal "hella conversion lights" This is what i did 2 months ago and wish I did this to begin with.There is no glare to oncoming cars..the beam pattern is like no other.My hid kit has hi/low and it has the proper hi beam cutoff built into the beam pattern.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLA-003427291/

keep in mind..everyone else on the forums also said to do this and i was too cheap and went down your path..guess what..i paid the price.you get what ya pay for and trust me when you learn to use these..you will smack yourself silly lol.Ive since converted my fog lights to hid aswell and all i can say is wowww.only using 6k bulbs for both kits..dont need more than that what so ever.

good luck
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Supreme Member

haha your not burting my bubble... i already knew that the projectors were poop. but they were part of the kit so i said wat the hell. also i wanted the housings so eventually i could cut them up and install real used projectors (something small from like a acura or something if i can find it) and then just run the HID kit that i got. bc its a firebird u have absolutely NO room for a real projector bc theres no depth behind the headlight assembly. so basically im gona try these and see how they work for SHlTS and giggles. honestly im so dissapointed in the H4 bulbs that even if it scatters light everywhere but on the road it will be better than my H4s.

the projectors in these Ebay headlamps... seems to be pointed/angled down a alittle from what i can see... not sure why. again the ebay projectors were part of the kit so im not returning them.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

another member has done this with really nice results not long ago on a camaro..but again..those housings arent best for what you plan on doin aswell but for test fitting they will be fine to hack up lol.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

wat are some cheap projectors... acura TSX... i saw some projectors on a caddy today... thought about stealing them lol.

prob is the depth of the firebird headlight bucket... from what ive seen the real projectors are around 6" min depth. thats too much, and the headlight lense is only 3.5"-4" depth.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

The acura tl/tsx has some nice projectors, but they run anywhere from $100 to $400 for a set on ebay. The newer caddy ones are expensive as hell too. Theyre about 2.5" in diameter and about 6" long for the low beams.