Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

88 headlight problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock
88 headlight problem?

Alright so I have a 1988 firebird. The headlight motors would work, but they wouldn't always raise the headlights up all the way and they sometimes would continue to run every once in awhile when they were already up. I had the rebuild kits done in both lights, and they worked fine at the shop at least a good 50 times with no problem. Now I got the car home, and they don't work at all when the car is off. But sometimes work when the car is running. Then occasionally they work without a problem for about 5 or 10 minutes. After that they won't come up or down at all. I checked the connections and they are good. The motors still get electricity but I can't figure out what the problem is. I was wondering of the motors were tightened too much in any way when they were rebuilt? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jerry B.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: 88 headlight problem?

Chances are the control module on the firewall is bad. Or the switch itself.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:22 PM

I don't know much about it at all and thanks for the quick response. If I push the switch you can still hear the motors engaging and they'll spin about a millimeter or two. But before I did the rebuild, the motors would always work when the switched was pressed. Could this still be the headlight switch itself? Even though this is occurring? Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

If the lights themselves come on, and go off with the switch (with or without popping up and retracting) chances are the switch is ok.

The motors themselves are pretty durable and simple. If they turn when powered the electric motor is ok. If the clutches or the gear strips they turn, but they don't move up or down, or they make nasty noises. If they seem to respond normally, I wouldn't blame the motors.

87-up Firebirds use an electronic control module to drive the headlight doors up and down. The module basically senses the voltages to determine when the headlight is up or down, and stops the motor under predetermined conditions. Unfortunately the modules are fairly delicate, and they seem to fail often.

There's a troubleshooting procedure for the module in the service manual, but the only one I have on hand is for 1991, and from the looks of things 90-up are different.

When the module fails the headlights do all kinds of flaky stuff. When one of mine failed I came out after work and one headlight was popped up. $119 at the Pontiac dealer later and my headlights work again. I've heard the modules can be popped open and repaired, but honestly I've never looked inside one. I have no idea if GM still stocks them, but they shouldn't be too hard to find in the junkyard. Several GM applications of the same vintage with pop up headlights use the same motors and controls... Think Corvettes, Sunbirds, Fieros, I want to say there's even an Oldsmobile with pop up headlights. Just keep in mind that there are at least two different versions of the control modules.

Top Down Solutions is one source for rebuilt modules. http://www.top-downsolutions.com/index.php?cPath=35

You may also want to check the HDLP DR#1 and HDLP DR#2 fuses, they're not in the fuse block, but in the convenience center on the passengers side of the steering column up under the dash.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Car: '87 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L

Originally Posted by Drew
You may also want to check the HDLP DR#1 and HDLP DR#2 fuses, they're not in the fuse block, but in the convenience center on the passengers side of the steering column up under the dash.

What do these fuses control?

And does anyone have any idea on how to fix the headlight control mod? I'm under the impression that it's just a few cold solder points that need to be re-done.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM

I don't know and thanks drew for all the information. I honestly don't know what was wrong with mine but now it's been a few weeks and one day I went to test them they and they worked. They now work without a problem every time and have been doing so for a nearly 3weeks. I'm not going to screw with it while they work but, I think it's just a sign that something is slowly failing
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Car: 87 formula
Engine: LG4

Hey i was wondering if there was a way to connect to 3 wire motors from a 84 to the 2 wire in a 87