Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Removing MSD Timing Control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Removing MSD Timing Control?

Hey, I've used this forum for so much useful info, but this time I'm in unfamiliar territory!

I've got a 90 IROC 5.0 TPI.

The guy I bought my car from had this MSD 6AL box wired up with a rev limiter and a timing control, the blue box.

He did a really bad hack job and put it right where the heat box is supposed to go, and now that I've got a little bit of leave I wanted to get this thing squared away. I've relocated the MSD stuff to the front of the car down by the EVAP canister, and now I'm trying to get rid of the timing control.

I've long since removed the ****, so it's just the blue box. I believe the car has an accel dizzy on it. I suspect that the blue box might be screwing with my timing and just want it gone. I'm not used to these MSD things, and I've done some research, and know that I need to rewire it to use the purple/green wires straight to the dizzy, but my question is all the wires attached to the back of the dizzy from the timing box, do they just come out or does something else attach there or what?

Wondering if anyone can help me out.

On the plus side it's great to be back in America!

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Removing MSD Timing Control?

If your removing it for good then just rewire as per MSD instructions for your distributor and the MSD box. MSD has all the wiring diagrams on their site.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM

That's what I expected, just that all those wires that plug into the back of the dizzy from the timing control just get unplugged? If I wire it per instructions then only the purple / green wires would go up to the dizzy, seems like all of those wires that are plugged into the back of the dizzy (from the timing box) would have to go to something else...

Thanks though.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

I am not familar with wire colors on your car or the Accell distributor. If it were a small cap EFI distributor there are 2 plugs into the EST module. One 2 wire plug and one 4 wire plug and all the wires need to be used for correct operation of ignition and computor controlled timing. HTH!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM

Exactly as you described it pretty much. There are two plugs, just like you said. I'm going to try to bypass all this mess tomorrow and see how things work out. Here's another question. If the timing control is hooked up but the **** is off and its not doing anything, is it still screwing with my timing? My car backfires a little every time I rev it hard and let off the gas, or am going down a hill in gear. The timing is dead on at idle, the spark plugs are all good and gapped, I just can't explain what else would cause the backfiring.

So if that little box is screwing with my timing when I rev the car or something that could be a possible cause. Thing is, the car only backfires while driving, it doesn't do it just sitting there, no matter how much you rev it.

Appreciate the help.