Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electrical Terminal/Connector Repair. Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92
Electrical Terminal/Connector Repair. Is it possible?

While cleaning up the harness nightmare that my car's previous owners created, I've come across a few terminal/connector situations in which the wires are basically falling out. Is there a way for these pieces to be cleaned and repaired or new terminals installed? Basically, I'm looking for assistance from those of you who have seen this before and to find out what my options are.

Below, are two photos I found from another member who, from the photos, had the same problem, but had posted them for a different reason.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Electrical Terminal/Connector Repair. Is it possible?

Deutsch ( spelling ? ) or weather-pac re-pin, or connectors from a u-pull-it,
I would think are your options.
Soon I will be dealing with such gremlins myself!! Not looking forward to it...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92

I'll check those sites, thank you. Has anyone reading this done the repair needed? I'd like to keep the original parts if possible.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro: Sold :(
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by majobis
I'll check those sites, thank you. Has anyone reading this done the repair needed? I'd like to keep the original parts if possible.
It's actually quite easy to do and once you do it you'll love your self and think you can repair any connector on your own... which you will...

Anyways...

Step 1. All you have to do is "cut" those four wires closest to the connector. But leave enough so you can grab the ends.

Step 2. Get a pick(if you will) or something and there is basically a tab that locks those wires in the connector... once you stick the "pick" through the front end of the connect, you'll have to wiggle it a bit and press down as well as pulling on the wire at the same time to get in unlocked from the connector pack.

Step 3. After you get all the wires out, go to a junk yard and find that exact connector. TRUST ME... Just go to the GM section of the junk yard and find that connector (a good one) and then just cut and remove that connect off of that junk vehical lol.

Step 4. Repeat Step 2. but with the new connector.

Step 5. Keep those terminals that you pulled out of the connector and take it to you local GM dealer. Go to the parts section and ask them if they can give you four of those. Normally they will just give you them free of charge.

Step 6. You are going to need a terminal crimping tool for the next part... So remember those 4 wires that you cut on your harness to get that connector off to make a new one... You going to have to strip about 1/3-1/4 inch of the wire coating off to have some fresh wire.

Step 7. Place the freshly cut wire in the terminal and then crimp the terminal with the wire in place nice and firm.

Step 8. After each wire is crimped nicely with each new male ended terminal, slide each wire in its correct spot in the connector. Since the one in you picture has 4 spots... Usually its A B C D.

SO REMEMBER WHICH COLORS GO WHERE...

Better yet. Look at your connector and write it down.

Hope that helps!