Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

keep blowing gauge cluster fuse !

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI w/ extras !
Transmission: 700R4
keep blowing gauge cluster fuse !

Hey guys,

i have had an electrical gremlin pop up this weekend, heres what i know. I have recently had my arm up where the fuse panel is running some extra wiring into the drivers door for my door popper system im installing so i may of disturbed something.

With the car off, i can use the hazard lights or turn the headlights on and those corresponding lights on the dash come on and everything is fine, however as soon as i turn the ignition on and the SES light comes on and the handbrake light etc, they begin to flicker and then the fuse pops and the whole dash cluster dies so none of my gauges work.

Also as i turn the ignition on and the fuel pump primes itself, it sounds like its struggling a little bit as if its not getting enough power ? this and the fuse popping all the time have just both started so i think its related, however with the fuse out, or broke, the car still starts right up and is fine, just my dashboard doesnt work !

ive been up under the dash trying to see if if ive pulled a wire out and its touching the frame etc but everything seems to be in place, theres a ton of wires under there obviously but i cant see anything hanging loose or touching metal