Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electric Choke, Kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt, Torsen Diff, 3.73's
Electric Choke, Kickdown

Alright, I think this is my last wiring question! Unless the car doesn't run when I go to turn it over lol.

So, I need to wire in the Holley electric choke and the TH400 kickdown. But question is, where? Looking at the wiring diagram, I have the brown excitation wire that went to the alternator (I put in a one wire alternator so don't need it anymore) and I have the light blue choke wire.

Can I use these? The diagram says that these run through the respective lights (voltage warning and choke lights). If I wire these through there, will the lights be on whenever the power is engaged. IE, will the choke warning light be on whenever the choke is on and the voltage warning light flash whenever the tranny kicks down?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Electric Choke, Kickdown

Put the brown excitation wire back on the alt... you REALLY have a 3-wire alt, just, they tied the other 2 wires together and hid that from you, for people who aren't as smart as you and want "eeeeeeezy" but don't care if it really works very well or not. Undo that and put it back like it belongs. Run a short wire from the other terminal to some convenient battery point, the closer to the pass compartment the better.

Or, even EEEEEEEEEEEEZIER, just plug the car's wiring back in, like it used to be.

Then you can use the light blue choke wire. Prolly need to run a ground wire from the choke stat bowl to some convenient engine casting part.

For kickdown, run a wire from a convenient IGN source in the fusebox, to the kickdown switch; then from there to the trans.