Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

91 Camaro intellitronix gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Camaro intellitronix gauge install

Hi I am going to be installing these gauge in my 91 camaro, I would like to wire gauges so they plug in to Dash recepticle plug in so I would not have a bunch of wires exposed. has any done this and got tips on connecting gauges like this. also any other problems you may have run into during install would be appreciated Thanks Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM

Car: 1990 camaro rs "Fuego"
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: 700r4with tci lock up
Axle/Gears: 2.78
Re: 91 Camaro intellitronix gauge install

I recently got a pair from off the ebay part of the company and have the same issue with their "tech department" theres only one guy!!! for the entire company. There's videos of the 82-90 model and even install but they use the metal tabs not the circuit board like our models. So, I just made the same post also , but once I get more info I will make a video and post on your and my thread what I come up with. From all the research so far people are saying 5 hours to install. does your top three holes not line up with the bezel also?.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5

I installed these on my 91 camaro and my buddies 88.

I think there is one wire I couldn't figure (didn't spend enough time looking) how to wire to in the gauge cluster itself, but that was it.

With all the other wires, I ended up wiring them to the proper spots on the circuit board on the cluster, so when you plug the cluster in, the wires are all wired up. (Making the cluster easily removable with the exception of 1 wire I put some quick disconnects onto.)

The one wire that I didn't do this to was with the speedometer wire. I had some issues (and occasionally, but rarely, still do) where the speed would show 20 mph higher for a few seconds, and rarely reset my speedometer calibration. I tried wiring that wire differently and bypassing some vss module but didn't try super hard. I have that wire running from the new intellitronix gauges to the wire on the vehicle harness side for the speedometer.

I think I may have some diagrams I made to help me wire it up properly on my old computer so I can try and take a look for them there. Basically, I found a diagram online that showed the wiring pinout of our gauge cluster, then traced the copper pinout from the location where it plugs into, to the other end of where it powers. For example, I followed the end of the turn signal power wire all the way to the turn signal indicator bulb location. Once I found the proper spot, I shoved the wire in place on the circuit board. I did this for each wire.

I'm not very good at explaining what I did so when I get a chance I'll see if I can dig up some pictures or diagrams of what I did.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 PM

So I found some pictures of when I did it a while back.

Here is a diagram I used to help determine what to wire and where. Notice, this diagram is for the DASH plugs, NOT the cluster! So it's a little confusing matching these up to the cluster because things are sort of inverted.

Name:  cluster%20wiring_zps5hub7vf7.jpg
Views: 34053
Size:  119.2 KB

This is the quick and easy way to wire the gauges up to the cluster. I would recommend finding a more secure way of doing this, but what I did has worked for me for about a year now!

I took a wire:

Name:  IMAG0994_zpsvkath5zs.jpg
Views: 31824
Size:  209.1 KB

And put some bulbs over it to keep it in place

Name:  IMAG0995_zps6ugokktw.jpg
Views: 32174
Size:  238.5 KB

With wires that were not connected to bulbs, I wrapped them around the metal tabs sticking down. I would recommend soldering them or better yet, getting wire connectors and connecting them on the INSIDE of the housing. I ended up doing that (female wire connectors) for my friends 89 cluster and it was MUCH neater and more secure that doing what I did. Not every wire will be able to use a female connector though, but most will. Doing it that way makes it so the cluster housing is still reusable if you ever go back to original gauges for some weird reason.

Here is what it's like installed:

Name:  IMAG1097_zps02c7c7e2.jpg
Views: 31775
Size:  54.3 KB

Let me know if you have more specific questions and I'll try and see if I can be of help.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 AM

Car: 1990 camaro rs "Fuego"
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: 700r4with tci lock up
Axle/Gears: 2.78

there are three screws that don't line up in the middle I think that we are supposed to use to get securing the digital board to the bezel. I found the diagram non inverted now thank you. You answered my question though about the connections. I have solder and an iron to make the connections stick to the board though. I will have to make a write up slowly and take pictures. I know the speedometer wire is wired to the sensor in the transmission not the cluster.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:23 PM

I can't exactly remember, but I think there are some screw holes that don't line up and I ended up not using... but I'd have to double check to make sure.

Be careful when soldering also. The "circuit board" can't take a lot of abuse so you may want to get a delicate solderer (like the pencil type ones) because that plastic circuit sheet will melt quick. Either that or solder to the metal contacts on the cluster housing instead.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 AM

yes they lined up any thing you could share about this install would be appreciated Thanks Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 AM

Great posting I may need some advise when I wire it this winter Appreciate the pics Too Thanks MIke
Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbajones_ya
I installed these on my 91 camaro and my buddies 88.

I think there is one wire I couldn't figure (didn't spend enough time looking) how to wire to in the gauge cluster itself, but that was it.

With all the other wires, I ended up wiring them to the proper spots on the circuit board on the cluster, so when you plug the cluster in, the wires are all wired up. (Making the cluster easily removable with the exception of 1 wire I put some quick disconnects onto.)

The one wire that I didn't do this to was with the speedometer wire. I had some issues (and occasionally, but rarely, still do) where the speed would show 20 mph higher for a few seconds, and rarely reset my speedometer calibration. I tried wiring that wire differently and bypassing some vss module but didn't try super hard. I have that wire running from the new intellitronix gauges to the wire on the vehicle harness side for the speedometer.

I think I may have some diagrams I made to help me wire it up properly on my old computer so I can try and take a look for them there. Basically, I found a diagram online that showed the wiring pinout of our gauge cluster, then traced the copper pinout from the location where it plugs into, to the other end of where it powers. For example, I followed the end of the turn signal power wire all the way to the turn signal indicator bulb location. Once I found the proper spot, I shoved the wire in place on the circuit board. I did this for each wire.

I'm not very good at explaining what I did so when I get a chance I'll see if I can dig up some pictures or diagrams of what I did.
You explained it quite well... Could you tell me where you connected the purple (dimmer) wire? And if it works.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:05 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS TBI Convertible
Engine: V8 305 5.0

Originally Posted by ScorpionKing395
You explained it quite well... Could you tell me where you connected the purple (dimmer) wire? And if it works.
Did you ever get an answer on this, I have the same question and am getting confused as to where to land this cable. Anyone out there who can help?
Old 09-21-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1987 IROC Z Camaro. Pulled out gauges to change dash lights. Gauges were all working when pulled. Went to install Tach with oil pressure gauge.Now my tach and oil pressure gauges do not work.is there a way to test cluster. Gauges work before i pulled them out. Could it be a bad connection to the cluster.left side of cluster works fine. Any ideas what i could have done.