Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Accessory fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessory fuse

I have an 88 camaro that i bought a while ago. It originally showed that the accessory fuse (20a) was blown. When I replaced it, the radio, dome light, parking lights, and brake lights came on along with the alarm that comes on when the headlights are on but the key isnt in the ignition. The alarm and everything stays on with the door shut, amd it runs until the battery is dead. Any idea what could cause this or where one could start looking for answers?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,276 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Accessory fuse

Not sure what you mean by "and everything"; but... if that includes the dome light, then start looking at all the white wires. The dome light has fused battery (orange wires) on one side, and the other side is the white wires. Those go to the door switches and the headlight switch, any of which grounds the white wire to turn the lights on. If some PO hack job has malfunctioned, (no!!! say it isn't so!!! a hack job malfunctioning???) a white wire is chafed through and shorted to ground, or if a door switch is messed up, or the HL sw is broke, the lights will stay on forever.

I'd start by unplugging the white wires from those 3 things and see if it turns off. If so, it's one of those. If not, it's a wiring problem, and I think I'd start looking at know-to-exist hack jobs (*cough*alarm*cough*) next.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird

Check the wiring on your ignition switch.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked as much of the wiring as I could, and everything looked fine. I did make a discovery, when the accessory fuse and 'inst lmps' fuses are in, all the accessories turn on, and the alarm/chime kicks on. When I unplug the inst lmps fuse, the chime stops and the brake lights turn off. Any reason why this would affect things?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Buzz Kill

The alarm assembly is activating due to a faulty circuit.

To find out where, pull the
STOP HAZ fuse.

If that silences it replace the fuse, then:

Gain access to the Audio Alarm Assembly.

One at a time disconnect pins B, D, E, G, at the assembly.

When the tone stops you have found the problem circuit.

To gain access to the Audio Alarm Assembly remove the knee bolster.

You’ll find the Audio Alarm Assembly in the ‘Convenience Center’, which is to the right of the steering column.

Happy Racing !

8 Wheels Corner Better Than 4, If You’re On The Outside You Have Fair Warning

Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by shrewdpeach1609
I have an 88 camaro that i bought a while ago. It originally showed that the accessory fuse (20a) was blown. When I replaced it, the radio, dome light, parking lights, and brake lights came on along with the alarm that comes on when the headlights are on but the key isnt in the ignition. The alarm and everything stays on with the door shut, amd it runs until the battery is dead. Any idea what could cause this or where one could start looking for answers?
Hang on for a sec....There are two "alarms" here. Which one are you referring to?

One alarm is for when the headlights are on and you turn the ignition off.

The other "alarm" is for when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door.