Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fuel Pump Keeps Priming.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans AM
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: BW T5
Fuel Pump Keeps Priming.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/45792-when-key-fuel-pump.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/681990-fuel-pump-wont-stop.html

So I opened a thread earlier this month and got help but just not enough. I have an 88 Firebird 5.0 TPI with 5 speed BW.

I was driving to school and my car shut off on me. I had fuel and the engine was cranking over fine so I assumed my ICM went bad. I replaced it the same day and it started up and ran fine for two days.

It happened again but this time I heard my fuel pump kept priming. Someone mentioned I probably got a faulty ICM causing the pump to stay on. I went to swap it, removed it, and replaced it. Car ran fine again and the fuel pump was running normal.

THEN IT ALL HAPPENDED AGAIN! I got a 3rd ICM, I checked my grounds, replaced arcing spark plug wires, and sodder TPS exposed wires.

My car ran fine for two days. I went to turn it on and it wouldn't. All I heard was the fuel pump keep priming again. So I gave up for awhile. The car sat for a week until I decided to try to turn it on. The dam thing started without me doing anything to it.

I did some research on some of the links I posted above. My fuel pump relay could be sticking or my oil pressure switch is sticking. I'm kinda at a lost as to what I need to do to get my car running.

I'm just wondering if anybody has dealt with this issue? Please all input is welcome.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Top Fuel (Advice)

You can find out if it’s the relay or switch by connecting a small light bulb across the pump relay.

Make the wires long enuff to bring the bulb into the cockpit.

Now the next time the pump continues to prime, if the bulb is illuminated you will know the relay is not at fault.

Happy Racing !

After The Fourth Barrel Roll I Lost Control Of The Car

The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (03-19-2020)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans AM
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: BW T5
Re: Fuel Pump Keeps Priming.

Super late reply but I fixed the problem.

To make a long story short, it was a bad ignition pick up coil. The coil that sits underneath the distributor cap with two wires coming out of it. It also caused my ignition coil pack to fry.
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (03-19-2020)