Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Tach issues, Wiper issues, lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Caprice Classic
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: TH350
Tach issues, Wiper issues, lighting issues

Okay, so i got that 83' Berlinetta running (i've been saying its an 84 but after i looked at the title i realized i was wrong). First issue, the dash lights come on when you turn the ignition on. The dimmer in the headlight switch does not change the brightness and won't turn them off. Also my rear running lights do not work. Blinkers, brake lights, high/low beam all work fine. Next issue, the wipers don't do anything. Rocking the switch back, turning the wiper/washer lever forward, nothing makes them move or come on in any way at all. I've checked all my fuses (a couple were missing and the one in the "C-H" slot was blown. I had a 30 amp laying around and with the key on, stuck it in that slot as well as the 2 other open slots. The fuse did not blow and all that stuff still didn't work lol. I got all my gauges working great except for the tach. I tried the gauge without the filter, with the filter, and again making sure the filter was grounded. It reads like 3500RPM at idle and it buries itself when you rev the engine. The horn also does not work. Otherwise, this cars about ready to hit the road. Even got a stereo wired up and made an adpater plate for the dash out of a clip board and painted it black.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Tach issues, Wiper issues, lighting issues

Here's the fuse lay-out for your ride so you can check the fuse rating for each. I noticed the rating info is usually rubbed off from a lot of the fuse-boxes I see.

Sports Coupe Vin = 1G1AP......

Berlinetta Vin = 1G1AS.......

I'm thinking it's a good time to access the headlight switch for inspection. Can't count the times I've seen melted plug/switches over the years and you have several complains about functions that are directly controlled by the headlight switch. Best way to access the thing is to pull out the cluster and reach thru the dash housing....

The inaccurate Tach is most likely a bad Tach itself. There are resistors on the circuit board that fail; this can be repaired but often times a replacement part is quicker and easier to find. BE SURE the replacement Tach is from a V8 car !!! ( 4400 Yellow line = LG4)

Wipers; A non-working wiper could be the result of fuse-box wiring, bad column wiring, ( Column Swapped ? ) or a bad Wiper motor/Wiper Cover. Only proper electrical diagnosis / testing will help narrow down the suspects & find the actual bad part.

Horn; If you "jump" the horn terminal (green wire) with 12 volts while it's still bolted to the body the horn should sound-off. No sound; try to loosen and then re-tighten the horn assembly mounting bracket bolt(s). (The horn is grounded to the body and corrosion can cause a failed ground. ) Jump with 12 volts again. No sound,... replace the horn.

Electrical stuff is pretty easy,... A long list of issues can seem overwhelming at times so just stay focused on the individual circuit - or 'task at hand' - and 1 by 1 you'll start correcting each of the electrical problems that it's got.