Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Choke power all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI w/ extras !
Transmission: 700R4
Choke power all over the place

Ive been trying to get this 84 Trans Am running properly, bought it before xmas last year and it starts and runs fairly well but it can be problematic as the choke isnt working and isnt setup yet.

I fitted a new rochester carb to it so the carb itself is perfect, however the single power wire going to the choke is not. when the engine is running its jumping between 1 and 4 volts ?!?! ive been told it should be a normal 12v feed to it.

So im not really sure where to start on that one.

I have to keep loosening the idle screw which releases the tension at the other side and i can press the little arm to open the choke a little before start up. the vacuum pull off thing works great but if the choke flap isnt open slightly before i try and start it wont have any of it. But i cant seem to get it set properly as the choke itself has the rivets in place instead of screws
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Choke power all over the place

check your alternator ouput
Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Alternator is good, its new infact as the box was in the trunk when i got the car with the old alternator in. It was charging at 14.4 last time i checked it.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Two questions:

1. Does the CHOKE indicator light illuminate with the key on/engine off?
2. Does the CHOKE indicator light stay on when the engine is running?

These are the first steps in diagnosing your problem.

Hopefully, the '84 model year is wired the same as in '87.

Follow the diagnostic instructions and tables (attached) and you should get to the root cause of why you're not getting 12v at the choke heater. FIX THIS FIRST before trying to mess with adjustments and other stuff at the carb, but it seems a bit late for this.... Did you note where the adjustments were before you made them (counting turns of screws, etc.) so you can go back to where they were out-of-the-box?

The choke is supposed to be fully closed when the engine is cold. The choke will open slightly when the engine starts.
Attached Files

Last edited by paulo57509; 02-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 PM

The choke light is constantly lit when you start the car. Ive never seen it go off.

I will have a read through that man, thanks
​​​
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Two questions:

1. Does the CHOKE indicator light illuminate with the key on/engine off?
2. Does the CHOKE indicator light stay on when the engine is running?

These are the first steps in diagnosing your problem.

Hopefully, the '84 model year is wired the same as in '87.

Follow the diagnostic instructions and tables (attached) and you should get to the root cause of why you're not getting 12v at the choke heater. FIX THIS FIRST before trying to mess with adjustments and other stuff at the carb, but it seems a bit late for this.... Did you note where the adjustments were before you made them (counting turns of screws, etc.) so you can go back to where they were out-of-the-box?

The choke is supposed to be fully closed when the engine is cold. The choke will open slightly when the engine starts.
Ive literally just been in the garage to try. So with both relays plugged into the convienience centre the voltage was jumping between 1 and 4 volts so i pulled the green relay first, started the engine and i was getting exactly 1v on the choke power wire. weird. pulled the silver relay out and......1v

I then pulled the power wire off the connector on the choke with the engine still running and then i was getting 13.9 volts ?!?!? checked the battery and that was charging at 14.6 volts which is fine

what the hell is going on here.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Fixed. Was the damn fuse. Someone had fitted a 7.5 amp fuse for some reason and it didn't look like it had popped but on closer inspection it had a really fine cracking in it.

I stuck a 20amp in as per the diagram and it fixed the problem. Light goes off when the car starts and the choke actually works now. Although needs adjusting etc