Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

IGN Slot in fuse box not getting power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IGN Slot in fuse box not getting power

Recently encountered a problem with my ign slot in fuse box , it isnt getting power which i need because the fan was wired to 12v (previous owner, getting fan switch and relay done in a few days) not sure why it stopped powering fans tried both ign slots but still fan wont turn on. Fan does work already tested. any help would be appreciated, thanks !!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: IGN Slot in fuse box not getting power

The single contact IGN slot (if this is what you're referring to) in the fuse block only gets 12v with the key in the run position.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by SportCoupe_87
Recently encountered a problem with my ign slot in fuse box , it isnt getting power which i need because the fan was wired to 12v (previous owner, getting fan switch and relay done in a few days) not sure why it stopped powering fans tried both ign slots but still fan wont turn on. Fan does work already tested. any help would be appreciated, thanks !!
If your fan is wired directly to that terminal , and was previously working with the key on and now isn't , it's likely that whatever is protecting that terminal (fusable link most likely ?) couldn't handle the current draw of the direct wired fan and has gone open circuit . That would be your best scenario . At worst , the excessive draw of the fan motor has melted open either some wiring or some electrical connector feeding that terminal power , and it could be a bit challenging to find where the open circuit is . Remember , you fan motor draws close to 20 amps , that's why it was controlled with a relay in the first place , and hooking it up directly like it is (was?) put a strain on every component between the terminal and where it gets it's power , the battery . In fact , the ignition switch's contact that feeds that terminal could itself have burned open , not being designed to switch that much power everytime you put the key on and switched the fan's current through it ......
The following users liked this post:
Moises Gonzalez (05-19-2021)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i know discovered that guage cluster isnt working either, what can that mean? There was an orange wire in the ign slot that the 12v fan wire was hooked up to before anyone know what wire that could be?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5 Manual

OrangeBird is correct. I would start by examining the ignition switch and it's connector. It's probably a bit toasty.

Beyond that the fuseable link that powers it. It should be coming off the large terminal at the starter I imagine.