Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Advice for possible electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.0
Advice for possible electrical issues

Hi,

I have always wanted to learn how to work and maintain an older car, so, very recently, that opportunity presented itself with what I thought was a good deal. I have a 1983 Z28. Aesthetically, everything besides some rust around the t tops, shoddy upholstery attempt of the ceiling, and a gauge cluster that was not fully functional looked great for the year and price. However; a few days later I started to notice that the left blinker would blink intermittently and only if the headlights were off; the right side stay solid and dim (also, the back blinkers remain solid). The gauge cluster (only the speedometer and odometer work) needles bounce around when the headlights are turned on. So, the following day the car did not start; and when attempted to start it all of the lights would slowly go dim. I then removed the alternator and battery and had it tested at O'Reilly which they reported as both being in good shape... just the battery had to be charged for them to test it as it was completely dead. I put the battery back in and the car drives normally for a day, but still with all of the strange electrical issues of the blinkers. The next day after reading some information on how to isolate bad grounds and shorts I was going to test the fuse box with my voltmeter, but the battery was, again, dead. I take it to Advance this time and they told me, after charging, that the battery is fairly new but is bad and I will need to replace it. So, I get home and decided to test the battery with my voltmeter and it read 11.36 and I then reinstalled the battery but the car would not crank; all the lights were still dim and it does not even sound like it is even turning over. I know this is long-winded and I apologize; but any help or advice to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end.