Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn signal not engaging?! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Firebird Trans -Am
Engine: 305
Turn signal not engaging?! Help

Hey guys, brand new here! Just bought my first 82 firebird and the turn signal was basically just hanging. I've taken the steering wheel off and can activate the turn signals by hand so I know the switch is good. It appears the housing that the lever goes into has no way of activating it. But I for the life of me can't figure out what I need to fix it and internet searches haven't provided anything. I'm going to leave it all apart until it's fixed so if someone wants a pic of something specific just ask. Thanks in advance for your help guys! Can't wait to get this thing back into tip top shape!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Turn signal not engaging?! Help

Hard to tell from your photo, but you wiper/washer switch has to be broken. The arm off the turn signal switch has a round tab that is supposed to right in the slot of the wiper switch.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Firebird Trans -Am
Engine: 305

Okay, I got a new wiper switch, found one for 22$ online, O'reilly's wanted 130$, so I'm feeling good! Got the steering column pulled apart and found the black piece that attaches to the turn signal lever (black metal piece in above picture) is broken. I've got a picture of the broken part but can't seem to find it on any parts diagrams. Anyone got the golden ticket here? All a guy wants to do is drive the damn thing but blinkers sure would be handy! At least it's been raining a lot so I have that as an excuse as to why I can't drive it!
Attached Thumbnails Turn signal not engaging?! Help-20170418_084546.jpg   Turn signal not engaging?! Help-20170418_084624.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Page 39 & 40. If it's not part of the wiper switch, It looks like that might be the ear the turn signal stalk pivots on, pretty sure that's part of the column shroud or "lock housing". A pic of the piece with broken edges that match up would probably help. Or a pic of the column guts with the turn signal switch moved out of the way. If it is a piece of the lock housing, you're likely in the "easier to replace the entire column" neighborhood. Since the column would have to come apart to replace, the part isn't generally cheap, and so on.

Last edited by Drew; 04-18-2017 at 05:36 PM.