Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlight High Beam and LED questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' TA, 99' 30th TA, 09 G8 GTX
Engine: 305HO L69, 350 LS1, 6.0L L76
Transmission: T5, Hurst 6, 6L80E
Headlight High Beam and LED questions

I have an 1985 Trans Am L69 5 speed that I acquired nearly 2 years ago. It has sat on the back burner due to the 2 other TA's I was restoring. This one is one I was building to keep as it is an odd bird. Black and gold exterior, factory gold lace wheels, black and grey interior. Just an odd combo. PHS in talking to them after ordering the kit said based on the color, engine, interior choice and all that only 1 of 16 built this way. Not going down every option, just based off a few main ones.

Anyway, I am getting going on it, have my torch red 1984 for sale on eBay right now. I have driven the car very little. Maybe 80 or so miles as it sounds like a wrist pin is going bad in it. but I have redone the interior and all, Most electronics and such. I put in crystal clear glass headlights in. I also grabbed some new glass fogs since one was cracked and the other weathered. I put them in as well as the new headlights and LED bulbs with fans and such built into them ($130 set).

Now here is my issue. When I turn on the parking light and push the fog light button, everything functions normal. When I turn on the headlights after doing that, all is normal. When I hit the high beams, the fogs go off, all is normal. When I turn the brights off, they will not go off and fogs stay off. If I never engage the fog light button, and go from lights off to lights on, the high and low beams work fine. When I have the lights on and fogs while stuck in high beam mode, if I turn off the fogs I can go between high and low again.

What am I dealing with here? Is the car not registering the LED light going back to low? Leaving the fogs off? Why would it work fine with fogs off, work fine with the fogs turned on first, but not if the high beams are used or if fogs are turned on after headlights are up?

Just confused all around. I have even unhooked the headlights, and the fogs still have the issue. Says it will not get off the high beams. I am thinking it has to be a voltage consumption thing. But let me know if I am way off, or if there is a way to fool the system to work properly once again.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Re: Headlight High Beam and LED questions

Anyone? Even ideas are welcomed here.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Anyone have any positive input on the subject here?
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4

I have no idea, but since I was interested in going Led also, would like to know if anyone else has run into this too.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

check these out.. might help
https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/t...es/connect.gif
https://www.thirdgen.org/headlightupgrade/
Old 05-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 236 Likes on 182 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by SC/T02
Anyone? Even ideas are welcomed here.
I had a similar issue when i changed out my lights also. it is in the headlight pin connector. you can repin your connector to match your light bulb connectors. If you go this route you still use the switch relay that is in the headlamp switch. When i did this the lights functioned properly but I had an issue of the relay overheating and the lights would flash or shut off all together.
I put the pins back to original and ordered a harness from Octane lighting. It uses its own relays for the lights and pulls power directly from the battery. This keeps the switch from overheating and the harness is wired properly. Ever since I got this harness I have not had one issue with my upgraded lighting system.