Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need Help With Stoplight, Problem Is Beyond The Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Stoplight, Problem Is Beyond The Bulb

My right stoplight on my '87 Firebird does not work. Since there are two on each side of the car, and they are both at the furthest ends from center, the picture in your mind should be the two on the left working and on the right, the furthest one from center not working. The tail lights all work. I tried taking the neighboring bulb and putting it in to make sure there was no size problem with the same result. When tested, if the break pedal is hit, the bulb dims when you take the taillight off of the car and watch how all of the bulbs perform. The bulb only has a faint glow like a hot wick from a candle just extinguished but not yet fully out. Again, the neighboring stoplight that is closer to center is fine. I am in no position to have someone fix this so I have to tackle it myself. This is the first problem I am going to focus on.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: Need Help With Stoplight, Problem Is Beyond The Bulb

I had a problem similar to this, my entire right side brake lights wouldn't work. Problem ended up being the dielectric grease some previous owner had used. It had dried out and didn't conduct electricity anymore. I scraped it out and it worked fine after that.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Light Fight

Your problem is consistent with a bad ground in the rear harness.

Make sure all the grounds look clean and tite.

A bad ground can cause filaments to become series oriented and cause a dim bulb as you describe.

Happy Racing !

Don’t Fuss Paintin’ Your Back Bumper, Cause B4 The Race Is Over I’m Gonna Be Pushing You Out Of The Way