Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 6 cylinder
Transmission: 700R4 automatic 4 speed
LED headlights

I just bought LED headlights for my 92 firebird and the connectors are different. So, i bought the pigtail for it. Stupid question but I was just wondering how i know what wire goes to what slot. Red, black and green wire. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
Re: LED headlights

I'm sorry, but I don't know the pin-out. They make full adaptors with the connector for your bird on one side and the connector for your headlight on the other. Out of curiosity, which brand/model headlight did you buy? How do you like them? How do they perform?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Without more info, I'm going to guess:

1. The old sealed beam lights have an angled prong and the LED headlight has "square" to each other prongs.

2. The existing connector needs to be re-pinned to an H4 bulb configuration.

If your pig tail has loose wires with female/male connectors, the attachment should help you figure out which wire goes where.

The 12v and ground are the same for both existing angled and square plugs.

Edit: Post some photos of your headlights when you're finished. I installed some 9006 and 9005 LED's in one of my newer vehicles. Yeah, the light is great but they're super obnoxious. ::thumbs down::
Attached Thumbnails LED headlights-sc2oh.jpg  

Last edited by paulo57509; 08-16-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles

I just bought some LED bulbs to replace the bulbs on my Z-28 and per the instructions that you show and what shows in the instructions I can get the low beam side of the normal driving lights but when I hit the high beams which should light all the led's in the bulb they just go out and I have nothing. I changed the wires around and I get only the high beam or nothing at all, meaning that when I use just the low beams, the bulb has all the led's lit not just ones for low beam. I haven't even tried to wire the high beam bulbs which are a 2 prong plug instead of the 3 prong bulb for the low beams. Any ideas on what I need to do make everything work? Thanks for any help, the low beams lights of the leds work great, I will have to change the angles some since these are so bright.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

The low beam in camaros is both low & hi, but only one works at a time.When you switch your hi-beams on, the low beam goes out & the hi-beam comes on.Along w/ the hi beam(only) lamp.Essentially, youre driving with four hi-beams.

This may be why your lo beam goes out in your LED lamps.Make sure when/if you re-pin it you're not mixing pos/neg, since the diode only flows current in the "proper" direction, but to get both lo & hi simultaneously in the low beam LED.Maybe a relay is one solution.