Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Driver Side Turn Signal Solid

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS LT1 Swap
Engine: LT1 5.7L
Transmission: 4L60E
Driver Side Turn Signal Solid

Hi! I've replaced all my bulbs and the turn signal switch in the column. When I put on the passenger blinker, it works no problem. I put on the driver side blinker and it comes on solid front and back. I figured the grounds were good because the hazards work perfectly on both sides, front and back. Any ideas? Possibly flasher? Help is greatly appreciated! This is the only thing keeping me from passing inspection!!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/US Gear Lightning 3.00
Re: Driver Side Turn Signal Solid

My first thought was a ground issue. If you test for 12V at the turn switch, you should get a "flashing" 12V: 12V, 0V, 12V, 0V...If it has 3 wires, you have a solid 12V input, ground, and flashing 12V output. You can meter the flasher to figure out if it's putting out the power correctly. If it is, I would think it is a grounding issue.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks! Would you know where the ground for that side is? It's so tight in there and the loom makes it hard to trace.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Drew Morgan
Thanks! Would you know where the ground for that side is?
Not without looking at a wiring diagram. I'm sure someone posted one on here somewhere.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The same part of the flasher drives both the left and right indicators, so it's probably not the flasher if one side works but not the other.

The indicator on the dash staying on solid can mean there's a bad bulb on that side. One thing a lot of people miss is that the turn signal bulbs and directional. In other words, if you force the bulb in the socket 180* off, you can cause weirdness. In other words, if you haven't already taken notice, look at the bulb from the profile view and notice one of the nubs on the side is higher on the base than the other. If you peer deep into the socket, there are corresponding grooves at different depths. Ideally they make it harder to put the bulb in wrong, but I'm here to tell you, it's not fool proof. It's also a good idea to make sure you're using the correct replacement bulbs - 1157NA if I remember correctly.

Go ahead and check the grounds, but the turn signal grounds are shared with the marker lights and headlights, you'd probably notice if the ground was bad. They'd be G103 and G104, behind the headlights on the engine compartment side of the radiator support, up under the lip. Might also check the ground under the dash next to the steering column.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Traced it down and figured it out! There was a ground wire cut inside the loom so I couldn't see it. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Glad it was a simple ground issue. Tracing it through that loom can suck *****. Hopefully it wasn't too deep in there...