Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

High/Low Beam Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High/Low Beam Relay?

So my 82 camaro has not had really its headlights used in a couple years.

Now the headlights work sometimes. When I turn them on my running lights work but not always the headlights. At first the low beams wouldn't turn on. If i switched to the high beams they would work, then I could switch back to low and they would be fine.

Now that trick does not always work. The last time I tried I got no high or low beams for a while. After maybe a dozen flips I finally got the headlights to turn on.

I cant remember, is there a relay for the High/low beam switching? If so is it part of the headlight switch or is it with the other relays like the flasher?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: High/Low Beam Relay?

No relay.

There's a switch mounted on top of the steering column, down at the bottom, maybe 8" or so from the firewall. Replace it and see if it helps. It's real low $$$$, like $15 or so. 1 plug, 2 little screws.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh yeah, I remember that now. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Just changed mine because of another apparent issue that the dimmer switch replacement did not fix. When you do this it is easiest to remove the wires from the connectors in that area and get them out of your way. Also pull the switches that hook into the brake pedal area. Firm pull and they will come out. They just push back in but look before you pull so you know far they go back in. The screws are tiny on the dimmer switch and hard to reach but much better once you get the junk out of the way. Enjoy! My back did.