Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Mystery Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Mystery Wires

I've got an 85' Trans Am with some unidentified wires. There is a 4 wire conduit (16 gauge wires I think) coming from the main harness out of the driver side firewall. These 4 wires come out of the conduit right near the carb. There are 2 wires that are the exact same shade of green (medium) and one has 12v switched power. I hooked the 12v wire to the temp sender, and that appears to be correct. The other green wire is dead and I have no idea what it is. Along with those two wires are a black wire (I thought it was for the carb but it does not have switched power to it) and a 12v switched blue wire. I cannot tell what those two are for. Additionally, I have a brown wire (12v switched) coming out near the others. I traced it back and it has a resistor wired in series to it under the fuse box, so I hooked it up to the alternator, which does not seem like it's charging properly. The brown wire was too short to reach the carb, so I had to put an extension on it, which made me suspicious that it does not belong to the alternator. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Mystery Wires

Update: I tracked the black wire and dead green wire to the passenger side of the car as part of the ECM harness, so I'm guessing they were emissions equipment. The 12v green wire tracks back to the temp gauge, and the blue 12v wire tracks back to post #10 on the upper gauge cluster connector, which is listed as the right turn signal. Where should the blue wire be hooked up to?