Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Starter issue

Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60
Starter issue

Getting single click...more over an intermittent single click; sometimes starts right away, sometimes half a dozen or so turns of the ignition switch. Metered all the wires from starter to battery, starter to ground, battery to ground, disconnected, cleaned, reconnected wires, changed starter relay, jumped starter relay, new battery, new starter and solenoid...NOTHING helped.

What am I missing?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Starter issue

Have you checked the voltage on the solonoid wire ?
The ignition switch cold be bad.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Car Is Not Cranky . . . . SO I AM !!!!!!

Use a spare headlight (because it puts a load on the circuit) and connect it across the M terminal of the starter and ground.

(Use a real headlight, not a LED sled, not HID’s meant to help the Mr. Magoos squint out to see where they’re going.)

Connect a voltmeter across the M terminal of the starter and battery

Make the leads long enuff to take the voltmeter into the cockpit.

Under normal circumstances, when cranking you will see about 9 volts on the meter.

On the occasions the starter fails to crank note the voltage.

The voltage will tell you what direction to turn.

If it’s about 12 while you are trying to crank, but the starter is not turning - the problem is in the starter.

If it’s under 8 while trying to crank - the problem is excessive resistance in the starting circuit.

Therefore if it is in the starting circuit you can move the probe you applied to terminal M at the starter, to the positive terminals at the solenoid, then keep moving up the line till the problem shows itself VIA increased voltage.

Happy Racing !

I Smacked The Wall With The Side Of The Car Because A Narrower Car Is A Faster Car
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60

Never underestimate the obvious AND basic....found the fault after removing and thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces of the starter and engine. OPS CHECK GOOD.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:54 AM

gentlemen i so appreciate ya'lls responses to my dilemma.. to take the time out of your day to lend a helping hand on this holiday season is a god send. i will try everything ya'll have suggested...thank you kindly and may you all as well as your families have a blessed christmas and an even betteer new year

Search this Thread