Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical issues

Hey guys I'm having some electrical issues. I'm sure i pulled a wire loose somewhere. When i turn my headlights on they dont come on but if i pull my dimmer switch the brights come on as well as the drive side low beam. When i have it switch to low beams nothing Comes on but my cluster lights kind of flicker and i hear some kind of ticking faintly. Also my driver side blinker works when i try to use it like it should and the indicator comes on but when i try to use the passenger side one it doesn't nor does the indicator. 1988 camaro iroc
Old 12-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Re: Electrical issues

Bump
Old 12-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Check the grounds at the right front.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Right front of what
Old 12-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Your car
Old 12-03-2017, 05:19 PM

The main grounds are fine
Old 12-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Light Work

After checking the headlight grounds and the problem remains, It could be the dimmer switch is not engaging properly due to misalignment.

If you have tilt steering make sure that is operating with no play.

You can adjust the Dimmer by loosening the hardware at the bottom of the column, then slide it into position, tighten it then test with stalk, then readjust as required.

You didn’t say if you just bot the car, in which case the PO might have messed up the wiring, or the lights were working correctly previously.

The left low beam staying on when the high beams are on is consistent with a short or PO wiring job.

Your cluster flickering is consistent with a worn out or bad connection at the headlight switch.

Make sure the dash dimmer control is set at the bright position, then using a voltmeter or test light
(the type for testing for voltage, not a continuity tester) probe BOTH sides of the INST LPS fuse.

If there is no power both sides check for power on the
orange wire at the headlight switch.

(However you know the above is powered because you have power to some headlights.)

Then check for power on the
dark green wire at the headlight switch.

Is there power on both wires?

Power on the fuse means you have power on those wires.

You have a bad connection on the circuit from the
gray wire from the INST LPS fuse to the bulbs in the dash.

On the back of the dash, looking from the back, the right side connector contains the pin for illumination.

You should see where the
gray wire enters.

Make sure that pin is making tight contact with the connector.

If it is, and there’s power there, the problem is on the circuit ‘board’ in the dash.

If your turn signal indicators work, you will know that the ground for the bulbs is good.

RIGHT☼TURN☼SIGNAL
Were going to assume you verified you have a good bulbs in the sockets.

You didn’t say if the front only or both the right signals don’t work therefore we will give you the info for both rights not working.

However you did state the right indicator also does not work.

You need to check the switch.

Does the switch have the same feel left and right?

Using a voltmeter or test light, key in the RUN position, turn stalk in the right position, probe the
dark blue wire out of the column.

Is there power there?

If no, you need to get to the switch, probe it at the switch and if still no power replace the switch.

Happy Racing !

Help Combat Global Cooling ▬ Accelerate As Fast As Possible
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM

I have had the car for a year and a half. Everything was working fine but had not been driven in months because I've been doing a engine tranny swap. I have replaced the Headlight switch and the dinner switch. The dash lights only flicker when i set the dimmer switch to low beams other than that there fine. As far as the blinkers everything on the driver side works front rear and sides and the indicator. The passenger side nothing works front back sides or indicator. I checked the end on the haz/turn switch connector. The dark blue wire is for passenger side and there is no power coming out of it. The light blue wire is for driver side and it has power as it should. Do im guessing that's a haz/turn switch problem. As far as the headlights. It seems there is a short somewhere