Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Hi. I would like some major advise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I would like some major advise.

Hey guys. I am Warren, from Portland Oregon, and I have been searching around for a f-body style Camaro. One of my best friends has an '83 trans am, and his dad(which is a mechanic for these cars) has been pushing me to purchase one myself.

I just turned 18 and have found myself a 1992 Camaro RS, which woulda originally made me turn away, but I found out it actually has the 5l V8 in it. On top of this the dealer says that it has "3/4 rv cam" work???? What is this? I know it has to do with the camshafts being adjusted for performance and all but how would these cams affect the performance of this car, positive/negative?

And also one other question, is a small block 350 engine the biggest I can put into this '92 or could I go bigger while not havign to cut things out of the compartment? And what would be the most efficient engine I coulf fit that would give me as much hardcore power as I could possibly need.

I have my pops support on this entire project. I have been watching many cars at Portland International Raceway and these F-body camaro's are running like 13's and 14's, but I am sure the cars could be much faster.

So help me out. please.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:49 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 406 in progress
Transmission: th350
the 5l v8 is the chevy 305 engine. the 92 camaro is nice though because it is the 25th aniversary edition. im not sure about the cam work though, sorry. as far as putting in a bigger engine, you can fit bigger than a 350 in. there are guys running around here with 454s and 502s in them, and some with bigger. i have heard of guys getting the 454 in without needed to modify the firewall, but that all depends on your distributor. the 350 is the most efficient engine (not necessarily for gas though). you can squeeze as much power as you want from those, and the car was built to actually have a 350 in it, so you dont need to worry about getting special parts just to make it fit. camaros are great cars, if you have the chance to get one, go for it.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:30 PM

any small block chevy motor will bolt in without modification to the body or frame. "there's no replacement for displacement" meaning that the more cubic inches you can build the better for power, just rememeber that generally more power = less gas milage, you must make the decision on what the balance of the two need to be. I am building a 412 small block now and hope to get about 450 horses out of it. just read as many posts on the subject as you can and you will soon be an expert on the thirdgens.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Well first I'm going to plug the local guys at www.cascadecrew.org . We have alot of guys local to portland and some of the guys know of several cars in the area for sale.

You can go as mild or wild as you want with the engines. I'm about to install my 396 BB into my car this winter. For 99% of people out there I'd suggest staying with a small block though, 350 or 383, it's all a bolt in. If one builds the engine properly and pays attention the the setup 11's are possible and 12's are getting normal for good setups.