Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

What to do with TBI fuel pump on carb swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.42?
What to do with TBI fuel pump on carb swap?

Soon I will be dropping a carbed motor.

The fuel pump on the carb motor is shot ( leaks gas into block!) So I will need a new fuel pump. The fuel pump in the tank is a new one from AutoZone. I just put it in a month ago, when I was trying to find the problem with the TBI. It is a lifetime warranty store brand pump.

Should I keep the in tank fuel pump I have now and get a multi port regulator or should I pull the pump, and put a homemade pick up tube in its place and get a new electric pump made for Carbs?

What would you do?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 - Z28
Engine: 350 / CCC Q-Jet
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt - 3.73
Several Options Available

TBITrucker,

You have several options available....

#1 - Leave it in there and get a regulator to drop the pressure. I'm not sure what a regulator costs but it' gotta be much more than a Mechanical Pump. Also the system is a little more complicated than it needs to be for a Carb Set-Up.
#2 - Pull it and use a home made pick-up w/Mechanical Pump. This is probably more of a PITA because you have to pull the tank again but that is what my son & I did. The mechaincal pump was only $11 at autozone with a lifetime warranty.
#3 - Install a new electric pump made for carbs..... That idea doesn't seem too good to me. The electric pump is gonna cost much more and if it ever fails your back to pulling the tank AGAIN. Granted any pump SHOULD last several years (minimum) but if your gonna pull the tank to remove the current electric pump why not just save the $$ and install a cheap mechanical.

IMPO the mechanical option (#2) is the best choice. You should never have to pull the tank again. The mechanical is only two(2) bolts if it ever fails. This is the best way to Keep The System Simple and one less area to have a problem.

The attached photo is what we did to the pick-up. This is actually what the previous owner of our car did. We improved the set-up a bit with hose designed for fuel and stainless clamps. Unfortunatley, we didn't snap a photo of our before we installed it.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails What to do with TBI fuel pump on carb swap?-z28_fuel_072705_tgo2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.42?
Thanks for the info

That pic answered my next question!

I did not realize the fuel pump was so cheap!

I guess I was hoping to keep the in tank pump because I realy don't want to drop the tank!

But if the cast savings is that much, well then a Man's got to do what a Man's got to do!

Oh Well, there goes next saturday!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Carter p/n M6626, $17.39 from summit. Mechanical pump with a return. The return function would regulate the fuel going to the carb, even with the in-tank electric pushing on it.

Return-style regulators are in the $75 range.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 AM

Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
i went with option #1. im leaving that factory pump in the tank and im running a 3-port bypass fuel regualtor(aeromotive, i can get you the part number if you'd like) and that will be able to drop the fuel pressure to about 7psi or whatever you want to run your carb at. i think a tbi pump only puts out about 14-17psi anyway, so thats not that much of a drop. the stock pum should do just fine.

- jeff
Old 08-09-2005, 03:49 AM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: Turbo 350
Transmission: 4L80E with TCI T-Com
Using the stock fuel pump is a better option.

The pump creates a flow.
The regulator restricts the return flow to build pressure.
Any fuel not needed by the engine goes back in the fuel return line.

You already have everything you need exept for the regulator. You need one with three ports.
*Fuel from pump.
*Fuel return to tank.
*Fuel to carb.

Very simple.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:27 AM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: Turbo 350
Transmission: 4L80E with TCI T-Com
Originally posted by five7kid
Carter p/n M6626, $17.39 from summit. Mechanical pump with a return. The return function would regulate the fuel going to the carb, even with the in-tank electric pushing on it.

Return-style regulators are in the $75 range.

If that is true then that is a great option.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

I don't see a fuel return on that one.

Another option is to put a T near the engine. If you connect the fuel feed from the tank, the fuel return, and the feed to the mechanical pump together it will work. The in tank pump will push fuel past the T and back into the tank. The mechanical pump will use as much as it needs.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally posted by JoBy
I don't see a fuel return on that one.
Don't trust www.summitracing.com pictures. That isn't even a picture of a SBC fuel pump. Trust me, the M6626 has the return.

Another option is to put a T near the engine. If you connect the fuel feed from the tank, the fuel return, and the feed to the mechanical pump together it will work. The in tank pump will push fuel past the T and back into the tank. The mechanical pump will use as much as it needs.
Sounds good in theory. I've never seen it tried (but, I haven't seen my suggested setup tried, either).

I have seen a guy run an electric at the tank, a dead-head reg to the carb, with a return after the reg with a needle valve in it. I don't think much of that setup, but it works for him.