Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

i have some vortec heads, and i have some questions

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have some vortec heads, and i have some questions

hi this is my first post on the forum, ive spent alot of hours reading and researching to plan out my first engine build. i managed to get a free set of vortec heads (actually gave me the whole motor but its blown) they are 906 casting and they have some pretty good rust on them. is there any way to clean them or should i take them to a machine shop? there doesnt appear to be any cracks, would you bother sinking time and money into these rusty heads? they have seen a couple years in a field on the blown motor. also, what is involved with machining the heads to accept the larger valve spring? should it be taken to a shop or can it be done myself? just weighing my options as i dont have alot of money and want to do everything myself to save money to invest in good parts. i will be able to get pictures tomorow, and i may start a build thread of my car. thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: i have some vortec heads, and i have some questions

Originally Posted by hb22man
is there any way to clean them or should i take them to a machine shop? there doesnt appear to be any cracks, would you bother sinking time and money into these rusty heads?
I would strip them and check for any obvious defects.Heavy rust pitting on the machined faces is going to hard to fix
If OK take them to a shop and get them to hot tank them and possibly give them a light skim to clean up the head gasket face

Originally Posted by hb22man
, what is involved with machining the heads to accept the larger valve spring?
No need
http://www.alexsparts.com/products/V...AT-TAPPET.html
Vortec heads need more valve travel ; not a larger spring

Last edited by vetteoz; 01-09-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: i have some vortec heads, and i have some questions

strip them? as in disassemble or use a chemical to clean them? i have the valves out i would like everything on the head to be brand new, i dont want to use the stock stuff. im very glad you pointed out those springs thats a simple solution. i didnt know they had springs out for vortecs, thought they had to be machined. as for the machined faces there is hardly any pitting, exhaust side was the worst but from what ive done so far it looks like it would clean up ok. whats the best way to get rust off a cylinder head?