Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Pulling motor without pulling manual trans.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Pulling motor without pulling manual trans.

Im looking for some one with experience in pulling a motor with a manual transmission. I have some questions.

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z 76' 350 swap, and a rebuilt T5 trans, new clutch.

Mission: Motor is almost ready to come out, new cam, valve-train, accs, ect... I cant seem to figure out how to dismount the trans from the engine without taking apart the clutch/flywheel assembly. I want to take the motor out and put it back without messing with the transmission or clutch.

Do I take the 4 bolts holding the trans to the bell-housing, and then jiggle it out? Or do I take the bell-housing off the rear of the motor? Can some one please help me out Id like to have this thing out Sunday morning.

When putting it back what are somethings I have to lookout for?

Last edited by blackbmagic; 05-19-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Take the transmission out with the engine. Separate them after they are on the floor.

The clutch mounts to the flywheel. The flywheel mounts to the crankshaft. You can't rebuild the engine without removing the flywheel (unless you're just doing rings - no overbore - and rod bearings), and you can't remove the flywheel without removing the clutch.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 camaro z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi 9 bolt
Re: Pulling motor without pulling manual trans.

what he said it will be much easier to install tranny to the engine while it is out and they come out together very easy you will save time and effort doing it that way
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Take the transmission out with the engine. Separate them after they are on the floor.

The clutch mounts to the flywheel. The flywheel mounts to the crankshaft. You can't rebuild the engine without removing the flywheel (unless you're just doing rings - no overbore - and rod bearings), and you can't remove the flywheel without removing the clutch.
Im sorry I dont know why I said it was getting rebuild. I wanted to say the heads are going to be decked, ported, polished. All new valve-train, cam Putting on a new intake manifold, harmonic, new crank pulley, double roller, oil pan, timing cover, fuel pump, water pump, arp hardware, gaskets....The block and heads are also getting a fresh coat of por15/engine enamel. I have purchased about 3k in parts during the past couple of months.

I must have had my head in another place. My block was newly rebuilt before I put it in, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, oil grooves cleaned, deepend, and smoothed. Lifter valleys smoothed. ect.

So you are telling me its easier to take the whole transmission out with the engine rather than take out the bell-housing bolts and pull the motor, clutch, flywheel out as one away from the trans?

The problem is I am working on limited space for parts and the girlfriend agreed on letting me pull the motor as long as I did not have parts laying around as an eyesore. I really need to be able to leave the trans in and just take the motor.

Also I don't need to save time, I have all day to pull it, and the motor is a few loose bolts from coming out. It is far from my daily driver, and I have a long project of shaving, smoothing, and repainting the engine bay, as well as relocating lines, wires, and cables. Also putting the engine together, painting and powder-coating parts and accessories.

Last edited by blackbmagic; 05-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Car: 91 Firechicken
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: 97GM BW T-56
Axle/Gears: 9", Moser 31 Splines 3.73s Trac Loc

Tell her to have a warm glass of chill out. Unbolt the bellhousing from the engine. Make sure to take the metal dust shield held on with the 10mm bolts off or else it will pull the trans forward with it and you'll hate life. After the motor is out, then take the clutch off and the flywheel. Just keep in mind, you're gonna have to support the front of the trans after the engine is out. Put some wire or ratchet straps through the bellhousing holes and tie it up to anything that is sturdy in your engine bay. Could even use a block of wood across the fenders if you're careful. At least this way, you can move the car around and not have the trans sitting in the corner tripping over it. Plus, when she kicks you out, it's one less thing to have to move beings how it's already in the car. Beware though, it's not like an auto. You're gonna have to take it out when you put the new motor in. There might be some majical people on here that can get it to line up to the clutch while putting the motor back in, but I can promise you it's gonna be a PITA.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc rebuild
Engine: 355 carb'd
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3:08 pos for a while

doing my swap i just unbolted the bellhousing,left all clutch assembled,just make sure the dust cover and starter are out of way,put trans in neutral after changing disc/pressure plate,it splined right up after getting dowel pins lined upName:  100_8309.jpg
Views: 4602
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  100_8324.jpg
Views: 4663
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  100_8342.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  100.9 KB
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Sorry for the lack of replys, Ive been busy with all this lately havent been on the computer. Took the motor out last week came out like a dream no problems. Unbolted the bell-housing and took the motor and clutch assembly right out with it. Slid right out with no problems.

Motors sitting with all new parts, covers, por15 and engine enamel, ect. and ready to go back in. Its just waiting for me to finish welding up holes in the engine bay, then filler, then prime and paint. Hopefully by the end of all this ill have a brand new motor, with a fully shaved and smoothed bay.

Still need some parts like braided line, fuel pump,brackets and fittings before It goes back in anyway. I should have it all back together the end of June.