Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

how much power will this thing make?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock
how much power will this thing make?

im just about to buy my first v8 and iv got some questions as iv got some nice ideas in my head on what i want to do with this beast. what im going to start out with is an lt1 with automatic transmission from a 95 camaro.

i want the engine
bored .30 over with double dished pistons and im gonna make it a stroker
hotcam kit from eldabrok
stronger crank
1.6 roller rockers
shorty eldabrok headers running 3" exhaust
porting the intake and aluminum heads
bigger injectors
walbro 255 pump
turning computer while taking out all the emissons, govner, rev limiter ect

trans
b&m shift kit
corvette servos
high stall converter
ect( i need more help on the trans on what ill need to do)

so what kind of power do you guys think im going to put out to the rear wheels? im hoping its atleast over 400hp to the rear wheels
Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: how much power will this thing make?

Lowering the compression with dished pistons isn't doing to make you power in a NA engine.

1.6 rockers is a poor mans cam swap. Since you're going to change the cam, just buy one with the lift/duration you want to use. Just make sure the heads you buy are set up to handle the amount of lift.

Right now your parts list is meaningless with nothing more than a bunch of buzzwords to make it sound impressive. You want to make a 383 ie stroker that will make around 400 hp to the wheels. To do that, you'll probably need around 500 flywheel hp. Don't believe advertisement hp claims like those from Edelbrock. Look at real world builds instead or buy a crate engine that's been dynoed for the power level you're looking for.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

the cam and rockers im going to get from edelbrock are the hot cam kit, they are producing the same cam that came in the 95 corvette lt4's. and im not going off anyones claims on power from the mods above, i said i want over 400. 400 is my goal for this engine and was wanting to know if the mods i posted above would get me near there. as far as the double dish pistons i chose those because this engine is still going to be in my DD, this is just going to be a very agressive DD. i know the stock lt1s produced 300 hp right off the floor, with the ported stock aluminum heads, hotcam hit, headers, bigger flowing exhaust, intake work, and the extra from the stroker im hoping ill be around there, if im not i need to know what i need to do to achieve that hp.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
Lowering the compression with dished pistons isn't doing to make you power in a NA engine.

1.6 rockers is a poor mans cam swap. Since you're going to change the cam, just buy one with the lift/duration you want to use. Just make sure the heads you buy are set up to handle the amount of lift.

Right now your parts list is meaningless with nothing more than a bunch of buzzwords to make it sound impressive. You want to make a 383 ie stroker that will make around 400 hp to the wheels. To do that, you'll probably need around 500 flywheel hp. Don't believe advertisement hp claims like those from Edelbrock. Look at real world builds instead or buy a crate engine that's been dynoed for the power level you're looking for.

Agreed times 10.Great post!!.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Edelbrock doesn't supply the HOT cam kit, no matter what YOU THINK the ad copy says.

Don't get a cam from them. Their cams are GARBAGE copycat obsolete losers for people who just want something with lumps on it and don't care what their motor runs like. Stay away.

If you want the HOT cam (HOT is a TLA for something, can't remember what, it's not the word "hot"), you gotta get it from GM.

NO telling how much, or little, power you might make with your buzzword parts list. The truth is in the DETAILS. "double dished pistons", "aluminum heads", "porting the intake", etc. all are MEANINGLESS. Tell us what brand and chamber size and runner size heads you want, what the part # of the pistons is, what machine work has been done to the block, and other stuff like that THAT MATTERS, and we can maybe bracket a range of power you are likely to make.

If you put TPI on it, that will be the limiting factor to how much power it makes. TPI will prevent it from reaching its full potential however great or small that might be. Some other FI system would be a better choice if you actually care how much power it makes. The Stealth Ram or MiniRam would be the most likely choices but by no means the only ones.