Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

So it Begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 ci
Transmission: Automatic
So it Begins

Hello, i think i have found a place where i might find some answers. ha ha ha.

I have a 1991 camaro RS 305 automatic all factory. I am now 29 yrs old and finally get handed down this car from my parents. They definetly got their money's worth out of this car. I get it on its death bed. 255,000 miles.

the journey begins. i get the call do i want it. i say yes. i have wanted it since i was 15 yrs old. little did i know what i am getting myself into. so i crank it up hear some tapping from under the hood, i am like ok loose rocker arm, ( i hope ), after a few minutes it goes away. i drive the 30miles back to my place and park the car.

1st thing right off the bat i go and get the stuff to change the oil. not sure when the last time it had been changed, so out comes the drain plug and the first thing out LIME GREEN antifreeze. uuuhhh. i then plug it up fill it with new and decide lets take off a valve cover. after prying off the cover i cannot see the rockers or springs. SLUDGE..... i mean i have only seen this scenario on TV. so i get my shop vac and start sucking out the huge amount of gunk ( which ruined my shop vac ). i then cranked the car and the reason for the tapping is i am only getting oil from the rear two pushrods. the others are clogged. I have since put in sea foam and changed the oil once which it proceeded to come out as a milkshake.

Now comes the fun stuff. with the motor shot and i am not even going to worry about trying to rebuild this block due to who knows how much more damage is lurking inside

Option 1::: find another 305 (which i have for a good price) i do not have to worry about smog regulations, so how do i go about removing and plugging all the hoses that are not needed, and which size belt will i need to use since i would be removing the smog pump. done and done keep on driving. my easiest way out.

Option 2::: lets go ahead and figure out which is the next easiest step LT1 or LS1 to fit under the hood, i would also look at salvage yards to find one of these. how much fabrication would be involved. i am looking for a timely fix, not a 6mo to yr. if i was to spend every night in my garage how long does this usually take. ( quick background on me i have done engine swaps before but it was all carburated stuff and very little electronics were involved, i do know my way around cars, just havn't had a project like this in a long time. just 350's to turbo 350 tranny stuff. so really just the old fashioned basic stuff.) this to me is new and i just don't want to get in over my head. oh I suck at welding. so hopefully these mods do not require that.

Ok Option 3::: New crate motor 300-350 horses is plenty, need enough to keep up with all these new 4cy and v6 powerhouses. I grew up in the darn gutless eco time frame where everything had 140-200 max horses. ok getting side tracked again.

Thanks for any help, I hope to get this project going soon. so my list goes. 1.Motor
2.Tires ( dry rotted beyond belief)
3.Tranny ( will die after new motor and traction hook up) would love to convert to 5 or 6 speed. but that is another topic.
4.Paint ( the black stallion is showing some gray with age)
5.Interior ( what is window tint or sunshades, all cracked and faded)

then i have to think is it worth it ??? This is going to end up a full Resto.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Re: So it Begins

I'd go with option 1. Get it back on the road. While its fun to look at while its in the garage, it's a lot more fun to drive.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

I can offer some input on #2

If you are going for quick and easy, if you get an LT1/4L60E, the swap can realistically be completed in a day or two, provided you have someone do the harness, and get the rest of your ducks in a row.

To do the swap and do it right i'd have rounded up the following beforehand:

Converted harness
PS pressure hose
Converted fuel lines
Air intake elbow, a cone filter and some tubing for the air intake.
PCM (engine computer) reprogrammed to remove the antitheft.

Those are about the minimum, a few things on the bonus list would be :

Headers (preferribly something decent on the port size, or made for D port heads.
LT1 or LS1 fans with shroud, at minimum the dual fans from a thirdgen.
Hoses
Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 ci
Transmission: Automatic

Thanks for the replies. this gives me hope on the Option #2, i was worried it maybe more labor intensive. I will start looking around to see who does wiring. and pcm reprogramming. I don't need to try, i will have to post a pic of a car on fire..... LOL
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Car: 85 camaro z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Falcon-7
Thanks for the replies. this gives me hope on the Option #2, i was worried it maybe more labor intensive. I will start looking around to see who does wiring. and pcm reprogramming. I don't need to try, i will have to post a pic of a car on fire..... LOL
Yeah man, go option two. It's fun to work on these car, and maybe will learn a thing or two. All for the Lt1/4l60 swap, that would be easier than an ls1.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Hold on.Are you in the rust belt??. If you,are get it up in the air and take a close look to see if it is rusted out too bad.