Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

engine issues..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86' camaro
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700R4
engine issues..

i still have quite a bit of issues with my 5.0 tpi.. i rebuilt it about a year ago, and it still has its bugs.. My motor was never perfectly running, and she was the only car i had for a decent drive i had to make. I had a person i knew help me get it to just stay running for the ride down. The only way my car would have stayed running was by installing a major vacuum leak.. (that was about a yr ago) I still have the leak, and my car still doesnt stay running without it. up until recently my car was able to sit, and i really had no time to work on it. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Im sure theres still quite a bit i should replace, and theres still quite a bit left to do.. unfortunately she is my daily driver as of right now, but i just drive 5 min to and from my shop. I have money to spend.. i just need help with the diagnosis. I went over all of my vacuum lines, replaced them all and they are properly routed.. my CTS that i bought was faulty, and i need to replace it. Im not sure if that would add fuel to the problems i am currently having. other then that, my motor is very healthy and it sounds and runs great. All of the hard work i am putting into it is deff paying off. I start her up, and she just wants to go.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Re: engine issues..

www.alldatadiy.com

Get the correct subscription for your car, then start troubleshooting, start with things you can test for with just a multimeter and a gauge or two, compression test it, fuel pressure test, and start testing sensors with a multimeter.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86' camaro
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700R4

thank you, I have checked all of my sensors, they are all within specs.. my compression is very good.. my fuel pressure though is a bit high. Have any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

Remove the fuel rail, hook the fuel lines back up and apply power to the power test terminal of the fuel pump. Then watch to see if the fuel injectors are leaking, then get a spare fuel injector pigtail, run some wire to it with the positive on the battery, tap the ground wire to ground and watch them fire, you can often spot a bad injector quickly this way.