Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

MSD pump and Corvette filter/regulator on TPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD pump and Corvette filter/regulator on TPI

Due to all the LS swaps out there Speedway and other dealers are offering the MSD external fuel pump and Corvette style filter / regulator. Is there any reason this setup could not be used in a TPI conversion?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fu...Kit,41791.html
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Re: MSD pump and Corvette filter/regulator on TPI

The Corvette regulator/filter is going to regulate pressure at 4 Bar (approx 58 PSI). TPI runs on 3 Bar (approx 43 PSI). I'm sure it's possible to run TPI on 4 Bar (provided your injectors don't protest) with a modified PROM, but I don't really see the point. You'll have to modify the fuel rails to remove the existing FPR and to accomodate the returnless configuration of the Corvette regulator. It seems like a lot of trouble for no benefit.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 AM

The MSD pump has a maximum of 43 PSI and I was just going to leave the stock regulator in place. I am considering this option since I will only need to plumb 1 fuel line to the tank instead of 2.

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
The Corvette regulator/filter is going to regulate pressure at 4 Bar (approx 58 PSI). TPI runs on 3 Bar (approx 43 PSI). I'm sure it's possible to run TPI on 4 Bar (provided your injectors don't protest) with a modified PROM, but I don't really see the point. You'll have to modify the fuel rails to remove the existing FPR and to accomodate the returnless configuration of the Corvette regulator. It seems like a lot of trouble for no benefit.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

I have yet to find a pump that can keep a steady unregulated pressure, which is essentially what you're asking it to do. Any voltage swing at all will cause the output volume & pressure to change, and the voltage in a running car is anything but constant.

The other issue is that the stock regulator changes the pressure based on the vacuum signal. Your design would eliminate what, which would require an entirely new fuel map in the PROM. Not impossible to overcome, but certainly a lot more work than installing the 2nd fuel line right next to the main one that you need to install anyway.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for your input. I will end up running the return line in order to satisfy the fuel map. Juice is not worth the squeeze here.

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I have yet to find a pump that can keep a steady unregulated pressure, which is essentially what you're asking it to do. Any voltage swing at all will cause the output volume & pressure to change, and the voltage in a running car is anything but constant.

The other issue is that the stock regulator changes the pressure based on the vacuum signal. Your design would eliminate what, which would require an entirely new fuel map in the PROM. Not impossible to overcome, but certainly a lot more work than installing the 2nd fuel line right next to the main one that you need to install anyway.