Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

My first engine swap, advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My first engine swap, advise please!

Hi all, I recently decided to play frankenstein with my 1990 firebird. As a grenade seemed to have found it's way into the old motor "3.1l v6"

It has the stock 3.1l v6 and stock transmission.
The donor vehicle is a 2000 chevy 1500 with the 5.3l v8.

First question, is this do able?

If so can I get some advise on what to look out for and what I will need to do as far as modding the tranny to fit the new motor if needed, and will I be needing new front end parts to compensate for the new engines weight?

Also as far as the ecm goes, will I be able to just swap out the electrical harness and modify lengths to get by?

I don't know much about transmissions, is the one in my firebird going to handle the new motor?

And will the exhaust manifold on the 5.3 fit in to the firebird ok? And as far as the exhaust pipes them selves am I able to use any of this when I put the motor in the car?

I'm sure I am doomed for no less then 50 more questions before I'm finished, but thank you guys in advance and thanks for hopefully having patients with this noob!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: My first engine swap, advise please!

This is how far I am into taking the v6 out.

"Radiator"
"AC Compressor"
"Intake manifold, injectors etc"
"valve covers"
"Alternator"
"Egr valve and egr pipe"
"coil, and distributor"
"in the process of taking off the heads"

That is about it. Will go for it again tomorrow!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

No reason to remove all of those parts off of the V6. Just take out radiator, rad hoses, heater hoses, distributor, un hook fuel lines, power steering hoses, wires, exhaust Y pipe, driveshaft and torque arm, trans mount and crossmember...

Then pull engine and trans out complete with all acc. left on it.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Visit the "LSx" section of this forum; that's what a 5.3 is. Not much sense in repeating the same things already posted by others who have already done what you're doing.

No you will not be able to use the 6-cyl wiring or ECM. Use the ones from the truck.

You'll need to take the extension housing off of your existing transmission and put it on the truck one, since your existing one won't even bolt up to a V8.

No need to disassemble that 6-cyl. Yank it out, transmission and all; and throw it in the trash. Not a single piece of it will be re-used except the one as noted.