Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

I'm going crazy not being able to decide!

Old 02-24-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going crazy not being able to decide!

I'm looking for some opinions on engine swaps. I have an 83 camaro 2.8 5 speed that I just bought off of my uncle who bought the car brand new in 83. It has 66,667 original miles. Zero rust, never been driven in the winter and has been stored in a barn since the 90s. I'm starting at the rear and working my way forward while building this car. I know for sure I want to run a ford 9" with the ta. Planning on using a t56 out of a 4th gen. Here's where it gets tricky. I can't decide on what engine to put in the car. I have 5 different engines in my head that I want to swap in.
1. 454
2. 383 stroker
3. Dz302 made from 4 bolt 350
4. Ls of some kind, most likely lq9 or lq4
5. Turbo 3.8 (t-type/grand national)
Give me your opinions on what you would do if you had the car and those options. The goal for the car is just a fun daily driver that I could take to the strip on the weekends or to car shows.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I'm going crazy not being able to decide!

you need to decide what you actually want out of it and build from there. Just about any swap will benefit from the 9 inch rear and t56. Both are kind of pricey. The best thing is to build the motor last. All that power wont mean much if you cannot get it to the ground.

Id recommed doing a front brake setup along with the suspension mods. The front brakes on third gens suck.

The easiest swap will be a carbed 383, being that you already have the fuel tank and what not. There is also alot of support right now for the ls motors, but you would have to switch everything to fuel injection. That means the added expense of harnesses, tuning, fuel pump swap, etc...
you could go lt1 for alot less money and they still make a ton of power, but your still looking at a fuel injection setup.

A big block swap may sound cool, but in reality you can make as much, if not more, power from a nicely built Lt or Ls.

I like the idea of the gn turbo setup, but i wonder about parts availability.

ive always liked the dz setup, they worked great in the 60s-70s. An LS or LT swap would put that dz to shame. They were great in their time, but technology has finally surpassed all that.

I was in the same boat for awhile and simply couldnt decide, but i came across a low mileage 4th gen lt1 z car that i couldnt pass up. So im stripping the z now and gonna swap it all into my 86 iroc.
My goal will be 350-400 hp to the ground with a setup that wont break for daily driving or at the strip. I could make more power but then you start affecting the drivability and reliability. Every suspension component will be replaced and upgraded because i want it to be fun to drive too. Basically my 86 should keep up with most modern muscle and still retain that iroc look.

Last edited by Flycaster1977; 02-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flycaster1977
you need to decide what you actually want out of it and build from there. Just about any swap will benefit from the 9 inch rear and t56. Both are kind of pricey. The best thing is to build the motor last. All that power wont mean much if you cannot get it to the ground.

Id recommed doing a front brake setup along with the suspension mods. The front brakes on third gens suck.

The easiest swap will be a carbed 383, being that you already have the fuel tank and what not. There is also alot of support right now for the ls motors, but you would have to switch everything to fuel injection. That means the added expense of harnesses, tuning, fuel pump swap, etc...
you could go lt1 for alot less money and they still make a ton of power, but your still looking at a fuel injection setup.

A big block swap may sound cool, but in reality you can make as much, if not more, power from a nicely built Lt or Ls.

I like the idea of the gn turbo setup, but i wonder about parts availability.

ive always liked the dz setup, they worked great in the 60s-70s. An LS or LT swap would put that dz to shame. They were great in their time, but technology has finally surpassed all that.

I was in the same boat for awhile and simply couldnt decide, but i came across a low mileage 4th gen lt1 z car that i couldnt pass up. So im stripping the z now and gonna swap it all into my 86 iroc.
My goal will be 350-400 hp to the ground with a setup that wont break for daily driving or at the strip. I could make more power but then you start affecting the drivability and reliability. Every suspension component will be replaced and upgraded because i want it to be fun to drive too. Basically my 86 should keep up with most modern muscle and still retain that iroc look.
My plans sound close to what you're planning. Less than 500 horse at the wheels, reliable, and fun to drive. I'm going to replace all the brakes and suspension. I really like the ls engines and how easily they make power but the only thing that turns me away from them is how many ls swapped camaros are out there. I don't want my car to just be another ls third gen, I want it to be different. That's why I'm considering the gn setup. I know there is a big cult following for those cars and a lot of people who have done a lot with the engines so I don't believe parts would be terribly difficult to find.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats true about the gn. I like the idea of being different and those cars are still bad ***. It would be similar to the turbo ta , i think 1989, only cooler. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I think ya gotta look at an LS swap. You could run a bone stock LS1 or 5.3, stock computer, stock tuning, and with headers and a catback it'd still sound pretty tough. Plus you don't have to worry about mixing and matching parts, affording/buying those parts, or even tuning. Find a donor 4th gen and get EVERYTHING! ...heck I'd use the rear end and brakes too!!!!! Not saying the 10 bolt is best, but it's cheap and it would be included with the donor! Heck you can swap in the gas tank and pump!

I built a traditional SBC/383 because A) the rest of my car was already set up for it, and B) my goal was to keep the TPI. If that were not the case, no WAY I wouldn't go LS.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

...that being said, I think the cheapest and easiest would probably be a carbed 383. Nothing wrong with that at all!!!

Search this Thread