Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

HELP Engine swap cant get engine to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 6.2L pontiac firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373
HELP Engine swap cant get engine to start

I need help trying to get new engine to start. Heres what i did i pulled the old tpi out and ecm and wiring harness i dropped in a new 500 hp 383 stroker carbureted engine. The wiring i did was left the power wires going to starter the orange power wires the fuel pump relay i left and spliced the green and white wire into the power wire running to the distributor so when i turn the key on i here the pump kick in. I wired my tach up to the distributor that works fine left the oil pressure sender above the oil filter in and connected it to the wire harness oil pressure gage works fine put new battery cables on new ground straps one from engine to fire wall other from engine to chassis. Cleaned all the ground wires for the electric fans witch i bought a kit for to make them work cleaned ground wire coming off ground cable hooked up coolant temp gage. Also installed a powermaster 9600 starter brandnew and battery is only 8-9 months old. When i try to start the car it turns over but it doesnt turn over fast enough to start the car turns over like its dieing battery and the volt drop test drops to 7-8 volts on battery and starter side starter needs 9.6 to work properly. I tried jumping it and it spins a little better but not much. I can turn it over by hand no problem with plugs out. I put my negative jumper to the starter and grounded the other end to the battery still no better. Im kind of running out of ideas here and summer is ending fast really wanted to try it out this year i know it will be a simple problem i over looked but i need someone with some ideas i can try