Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Fan switch/sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan switch/sensor

Hello
I was pulling my 305 to put a 350 into my 87 bird but as I was pulling plugs my fan switch and wire from under the exhaust manifold broke so I went and bought a new switch and replaced the wire but upon install I couldnt get it back into the stock location(plug was stuck) so I moved it to a open plug but during my first start up and the engine getting to temp the fan didn't kick in now when I wired the fan to the battery and the fan turned on with the key(so I know the fan does work ) now should I keep it like that or try to find a new switch
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Fan switch/sensor

Check for continuity . If the switch gets grounded the fan should turn on.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...n-request.html
Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Fan switch/sensor

I'd recommend working on getting the plug in the head out so you can put it where it belongs.

Then next time you do an engine swap, survey the new motor carefully for this sort of thing i.e. identify every piece in the old one and inspect & prepare its home in the new one, so you can avoid these nasty surprises.