Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

V6 to v8 fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro, 2012 Malibu LTZ
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 350 Turbo
V6 to v8 fuel pump question

Hey guys. So I have an 85 Camaro that had a v6 and I am dropping in a 350 and was going to do carb but decided to go with the Holley efi. So I just installed a new Sending Unit and aeromotive stealth fuel pump. My question is, if I’m still using the intank pump and not running a mechanical pump do I have to do anything to the fuel pump relay or should the car run the same way as before. What I mean by that is. For some reason I have seen a lot of people say you have to run the green and white wire from the relay to a 12v source in the run position. But when I think about it. That doesn’t make any sense. Why would I have to change it when it should be running the same as before the engine swap. I hope that makes sense. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Re: V6 to v8 fuel pump question

I don’t see why you would have to change anything. It should just continue to run like the original pump as long as it hooked up the same way.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Agreed. If the car was FI to begin with then you could use the factory setup as long as the new pump is getting the proper voltage 100% of the time. If you plan on running a high hp engine then I would recommend running a larger gauge dedicated 12v wire to the new pump. Reason being that you don't wan the pump to under preform causing a fuel starvation issue.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Originally Posted by Boosted357
Hey guys. So I have an 85 Camaro that had a v6 and I am dropping in a 350 and was going to do carb but decided to go with the Holley efi. So I just installed a new Sending Unit and aeromotive stealth fuel pump. My question is, if I’m still using the intank pump and not running a mechanical pump do I have to do anything to the fuel pump relay or should the car run the same way as before. What I mean by that is. For some reason I have seen a lot of people say you have to run the green and white wire from the relay to a 12v source in the run position. But when I think about it. That doesn’t make any sense. Why would I have to change it when it should be running the same as before the engine swap. I hope that makes sense. Any help would be great. Thank you.

You shouldn't have to do anything. v6 vs v8 doesn't make a difference. I did a v8 swap as well from a v6. There isn't any hidden problems. I even run efi pressure still to a regulator ment to knock it down from 40+psi to 6,7 psi. As I run a carbed engine but a walbro 255lph intank pump.