Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Project Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Z28

Hello everyone,

I知 new to the forum but I frequently read the forum for any questions I have. So first off, thank you for all the great info! In a few months, I would like to start building a third Gen Camaro and I wanted some feedback on some of the parts I知 looking into. I want this to be a street car but be able to take to it to the track and lay down hopefully a low 12, which I would say isn稚 too hard considering that these cars with moderate power do fairly easily. I知 thinking of doing a LQ4 setup with either an ls6 cam or something that doesn稚 need to big of a stall. Also, I want to run a built 700R4 transmission and 3.42 gears in the back. Basically, I want the car to have good performance but a cruiser on the highway. Now I know there are many factors to consider, so I would love any feedback or info anybody has to share. Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,276 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Project Z28

There are many far better cams than that for such a use, and better motors that you can easily find in a junkyard than the LQ4 to start with. The LQ9 for example, and about any good aftermarket grind with about 224/228 duration and .600/.600 lift.

To learn what LS motors like and how to get the most out of them, spend time reading the forums on www.ls1tech.com. Don't register; that will just lead to temptation to post vaguely in ways that require a book to answer, like you did here. Instead, just lurk, and read, study, read, study, read, study, read, study, read, study, and then, just when you think you've learned all there is to learn, read and study some more. THEN AND ONLY THEN, when you have some specific question that hasn't been answered yet, register, and begin asking.

The fact that you want to wrap a LSx motor in this particular shape of sheet metal doesn't really impact the art of building the motor. Now once you get past building it, you can get lots of help here on this forum, about installing it.