Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

I can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro
Engine: L31
Transmission: FTI built 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42 from an 02 SS
I can't decide

So I got rid of my 88 Camaro sc v6 with a t5.... i just couldn't resist the offer... it was just right.

I am now driving a 1992 RS 25th anniversary with power everything, ttop, oem aero ground effects, but with a LO3 and auto trans with 200k miles. The thing runs rough, but it's all original, and it still runs.

Now, I'm trying to build my Camaro to run 11.5-12 sec's on the 1/4 mile. Obviously the poor little 305 tbi has gotta go, unless anyone can shine some light on a decent LO3 build that will get me very close to my goal.

I have a hand-me-down bare Ls3 block that came out of my friend's 2011 Corvette GS to repair. It's cracked at the bottom, but not on, or near the sleeves (thank God). I took it to a repair shop and was quoted $490 for a hot tank service and repair, but I was seeing that the parts for building an Ls3 are expensive, but doable with my budget. I'd love to have a 415 stroker, but honestly, I'm never going to use all that muscle anywhere (except occasional track days). If I build it right, I know I can exceed and surpass my goal, and possibly even hit the sub 11's on a moderate setup.

My other option was to swap in an L98 I found with 110k miles being sold for $400. It's not too far from where I live, and I'm sure I can just build it up to hit my goal. It's coming out of an 88 Trans Am. I'm guessing this would be the most affordable, easier, and less time consuming way to hit my goal. I'm sure it'll be a struggle to hit hight 11s, but low-mid 12's can be achieved NA, and I'm okay with that since its older, slightly heavier technology.

I'm just torn with both of these two options. I already bought a 3.42 rear from a 02 SS Camaro, and ls1 brake caliper setup. The engine is giving me the most problem.

Any advice, wisdom, knowledge, input would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Pyramid_Head; 09-06-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: I can't decide

I'd say neither. The L98 is going to take a full on build to get you to that goal. At least reliably.
The LS needs more stuff than it's worth. You can find a better setup that needs less than these 2.
A truck lsx and a turbo would get you there for much less fuss. A fairly built 383 could too. Or a shot of nitrous on something a bit more tame. Regardless, it takes a lot of small details to do what you're looking for, not to mention all the chassis requirements.
I'd suggest holding off on either of them till you have a solid plan or more experience. I don't know you personally and you may know a lot more than it sounds but I think there's a lot you'd benefit from learning before you build something of this caliber. Goodluck in any event.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 AM

I like the idea of an turbo lm7/lq4/lq9. I have no idea why these engines all of a sudden shot up in prices around my area though. I was still trying to find a good, slightly low mileage one, but a lot of them weren't in the greatest condition.

As for suspension parts, I already have UMI weight Jack's, but I'm on back order on Koni shocks, and I already have UMI subframes. I'm still working on the master bushing kit though. As for the interior, that can wait til after.

As for experience, ive done some swaps here and there for other people, plus, I used to own a 88 RS long ago. My brother and I swapped an ls1 setup back in 2004, and since then, I've always wanted a thirdgen of my own. Now that I'm 40, house paid off, kids are older, I have the time and money to tinker with one, although it's true; if I can reach my goal in a more efficient way, why not? Thank you for the input. I'm still reading older threads as we speak.

Last edited by Pyramid_Head; 09-07-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

I think the hardest part is deciding what you'll be happy with in the end. What requirements are there? How much street, how much strip? In other words, is driveability more important than speed or vise versa? How important is that QM time? Is that the only type of racing you're planning? Those questions help detail the next questions. Efi only or carb plausible? Who's tuning? Who's setting up the chassis, and for what is it being setup primarily for? If it's you doing it are you prepared for the fabrication or pitfalls of that project. (Reason I say is because these chassis's always need help beyond what stock was, even 1le racers)
Those questions help fill in the details to decide what engine to go with. And by the time you think it all through, you could have bought a newer platform and got your goals without all the fussin'. Are you in for the fuss? Personally I am. But that doesn't mean everyone is. It's a lot more work then most build threads make it sound.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 AM

Very good questions. I do weld, and I've done lots of other people's fuss's throughout my journey. It's time to reward myself now.

As for the platform, I honestly do not like the newer muscle cars, although they are pretty quick. There's something about the third gens that gets me excited. I'm really crazy about this car, and I would like to see it keep up with the newer generation cars. Drivability would be great, plus have that 1/4 mile speed. I would mostly be doing 1/4 mile runs, and maybe some track driving here in willow springs with my son. Also, thanks for bringing up those questions and points. It has narrowed me down to a few other choices!

Last edited by Pyramid_Head; 09-07-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pyramid_Head
As for the platform, I honestly do not like the newer muscle cars, although they are pretty quick. There's something about the third gens that gets me excited.
I hear ya. New cars are faster, safer, more comfortable and easier to drive and it all comes at a cost of personality. Even my 04 GTO feels personality-less compared to the older cars and the newer cars are even more so. To each their own though. I can't fault the guy in the new Corvette, I can't race em either.

Either way, once you have a list of things you need in your build, ask away for more exact answers from members. There's a lot of experience on this board, most of us are very helpful even if we don't sound like it.