Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Loudest Most Obnoxious Exhaust :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loudest Most Obnoxious Exhaust :D

I want just what the subject says. The loudest exhaust I can get! I'm not too worried about "throaty" or "mellow" or any of those other words that describe exhaust. I'm redoing my exhaust completely with headers and everything. Please tell me what the loudest exhaust you've ever heard is. Also if anyone has numbers to back this stuff up that would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2000, 01:18 AM

Throw the headers on there. Run the catback, but where it goes over the axle and is supported by that hanger, hack right through the pipe so it turns down a bit just after the hanger. In fact tell them to leave the muffler and all that hoo ha out of your order. Save some $$. Tune the overall loudness by running with or without material in the cat. I would guess, with a functioning cat, this would not necessarily attract much unwanted attention, and still be pretty "loud".
Have fun
Old 10-14-2000, 03:35 PM

Anyone know if there is anything illegal about running without mufflers? Sounds interesting to say the least. What about gutting the cat? A high flow cat? I know it's illegal to run without one. BTW I live in Jefferson County in Missouri which is considered a suburb of St. Louis. So our rules are a bit tighter. Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by JEFJM (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 03:59 AM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
screw exhaust, just run it directly off the headers. If you want obnoxious thats the way to go. :P you can get it to do some good backfires that way too hehe

If you want something more realistic, what i did on my mustang was cut the pipe right after the gutted cat, it was loud, but it sounded mean. i got more races in the POS mustang than in my flashy "throaty" sounding camaro. I had pipe put on all the way to the bumper with the cat still on, its now as quiet as a buick.

or, glasspacks with 1 1/2 exhaust, those really rap loud, but hinder performance like a bitch (***** mod if you ask me)
I see lots of trucks like that, very obnoxious.

or simply straight pipes?

------------------
1982 Camaro Z28
"Vortec 305"
-KIA
Project "VortecZ"
rebuilt 355, GM 9.5:1 pistons, GM Vortec crank
GM L31 Vortec heads, Competition xtreme energy cam, edelbrock Perormer rpm vortec, edelbrock 750 carb, dynomax shorty headers, accel ignition, bosch platniums,edelbrock ProFlo aircleaner, Flowmaster 3 chamber exhaust, Richmond 3.73 rear, rebuilt dif, rebuilt 700r4, modified shifter, homade ramair, factory fiberglass hood,
and some other stuff

"if its broke, dont fix it. just replace with it's high performance equivalent." -Me
Old 10-15-2000, 12:19 PM
Banned

Its illegal to run a car without a cat or muffler in SC. And I didnt think they would take the time to check and give you a ticket, but I was wrong. Oh and that is the loudest you can get.
Old 10-15-2000, 05:53 PM
Jed

Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: 360 / HSR
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Man, you guys are hacks! No mufflers...nothing like installing an exhaust system the right way, huh.

I'm not trying to insult anyone but the problems that come with ditching the muffler are as follows.
1) It is a ticketable offense. Altered exhaust (or whatever you local PD calls it).
2) It doesn't look too good and reduces the value of your car.
3) You won't (or shouldn't) pass a safety inspection with an incomplete exhaust system, such as something that is missing a muffler and ends somewhere underneath the car rather than out the back or the sides of the vehicle.

If your exhaust system stops just before or just after the rear axle, where are the exhaust gases exiting? Below the rear passenger compartment. This increases the likelyhood of the gases entering the passenger compartment. If you're set on running your exhaust this way at least put a carbon monoxide detector in your car.

Running without cats creates problems as well.
1) In my county you can be issued a $500 ticket for operating without a catalytic convertor, and they will get down and look under your car, especially if you have something performance oriented and loud.
2) Once again, you may have a hard time passing inspection with a missing catalytic convertor. Notice I said inspection and not emissions.

These problems are easily corrected though. Take a piece of straight pipe. Take a heat shield from a catalytic convertor. Weld it to the straight pipe. You now have a fake catalytic convertor which will fool everyone except the people who know how to make catalytic converters. Um...not like I'd do such a thing.

If you want loud, run headers, a fake cat, and a free-flowing muffler like the Hooker Aerochamber. You can see right through the damn thing. Also, the more air your engine flows, the louder your exhaust will be. So of course larger camshafts and better flowing cylinder heads will have an effect on the sound of your exhaust.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I was just joking about the hacks comment. I just don't thing taking a saw to your muffler is an acceptable mod. But that's just me, maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Jed
89 Formula 350
Old 10-15-2000, 07:04 PM
Banned

Headers and a straight pipe is the loudest! Trust me Ive heard them and they will make you deaf.
Old 10-15-2000, 07:07 PM
Banned

And he isnt asking which caused more problems, just what was the loudest. Think about it...muffler, muffle. Sound alike? And what does muffle mean? Dim sounds. Ok I just answered the muffler part, you dont want one.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:44 PM
Jed

Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: 360 / HSR
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Originally posted by JEFJM:
Anyone know if there is anything illegal about running without mufflers? Sounds interesting to say the least. What about gutting the cat?

(edited October 14, 2000).]
If he wasn't asking then why did he write that, huh Einstein?